Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Annoyed Mother Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Lien against dead beat dad
    My ex-husband is a dead beat dad and has made no child support payments since our divorce in 12/06.
    Child Services will take 6-8 weeks to begin their processes of enforcement.
    So, since he own a house (with his brother and the house may soon be repossessed by the state) can I file a lien on the property?
    How do I do it?
    I live in California
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Actually I doubt it, and honestly why would you want a lien on a home that is going to be foreclosed on, the second lien holder almost NEVER, ever never gets paid any money, the house is sold at auction, and normally beings about 1/2 to 3/4 of its actual value ( not apprasied value)
    And then the first mortgage holder or who ever property liened against, adds in their foreclosure costs, their legal costs and their sale costs.

So all this does is muddy up the child support peoples ability to collect on money you havve off somewhere else.

** Now if they have bank accounts, or if there is a pay check to garnish then that is something to go after.

*** opinion, not legal advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead Beat Dad [ 1 Answers ]

My situation is this: I live in Georgia and my ex husband and I divorced 3 yrs ago after 3 yrs of marriage. We have 2 children age 13 & 6. After my divorce was final I began seeing someone else and we are now engaged. My ex husband has had no contact with my children since the divorce was...

Dead Beat Dad! I need advice! [ 2 Answers ]

I will try to sum this up as quickly as I can. My daughters father (my ex) has tried to get out of so many responsibilities since the day we divorced. The last time I took him to court which was about 4 months ago, was for child support to be set at the full 17%. I have tried to strike deals with...

Another type of dead beat dad [ 11 Answers ]

Im a single mom as well, with just 1 child. The father is behind 6 months in child support and behind a year in medical reimbusments. But that is not my question. Here's the background of the case: We have an extensive mediation agreement, which grants me the right to live in the family home...

View more questions Search