Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josuesmama24 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 01:23 AM
    Is there a law against 16 year old dating 18 year old if parents object ?
    I know a 16 year old who is dating a 19 year old and her parents object. They have sex on a regular basis. Is there any law against her parents forcing her to test and see if she is having sex with the 19 year old even if she does not want to test?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 01:36 AM
    Since I don't know where she is, I can't say if there is no such law. But generally, there probably is not such a law. What kind of "test" would this be, anyway?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 08:26 AM
    Maybe some sort of physical exam? I can't IMAGINE dragging a kicking, screaming, protesting 16 year old to a Physician but...

I do notice that the 18 year old turned 19 between the title and the question.

Why don't the parents simply forbid the two from dating and, if they do, have "him" (at either age) charged with parental interference? That's going on in NY A LOT right now. Investigator determines the two are dating, parents file papers.

What State?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Depending on location it could be illegal for them to be engaging in sex. But it is likely to be illegal for the 19 yr old to continue to see the 16 yr old if her parents have refused permission.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 11:51 AM
    There are several things, first of course they don't need any test, if the adult keeps seeing the child, the parents can get a restraining order, they can file interference with custody and other issues,

Having sex will depend on state law if in the US

Jan 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
    This would be a Physical exam and in the Sate of Washington. The parents have never seen him. The daughter told her mother that she was dating a 19 year old, she's never seen or met this 19 year old and she told her to stop talking to him or she would report him. What will happen to him if they report him? Does that mean he has to wait until she is of age to contact her in any way like phone and internet?

Jan 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
    Well here's the thing. The age of consent in WA is 16. Plus there is a 5 yr close in age provision.

So they haven't met the boyfriend. How can they object just on the basis of age? 16-19 is on the edge of acceptability. But its not enough, In my opinion, to reject it without other reasons.

But also, if the boyfriend does not know of the parent's objections he really can't be prosecuted for parental interference.

So my recommendation is for the parents to insist on meeting the boyfriend before any more dates. Then decide whether to allow continued dating. If they decide to forbid it then they need to make sure the guy is aware of it and the consequences of continued contact.
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
    The parents can of course if the child is not obeying, just take away cell phones , take away internet and other things they are allowed. This is the normal way to treat and punish a disrepectful child.

Jan 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
    ScottGem: There is a 38 month difference between the two. The girl will be 16 in two months, if the 19 year old can wait the two months until she turns 16. Will that mean they can date legally?

Even though the parents object and still has never met or seen or had any contact with him and just the parents telling their daughter to stop talking to him or she will report him is there still anyway he can get in trouble?
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 02:48 PM
    No, it means if the parents allow them to date, they could have sex without him being a rapist. A 16 year old will still need permission of the parents to date.

The parents can contact the adult theirself and order him not to contact their child. If he does, they can then seek legal action.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
    Date legally? As long as she's underage she dates with her parents' permission and consent. That's it.

What is your interest in this?

Jan 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
    Will she still need permission to date if they don't have sex but he still waits until she turns 16 to date without any trouble?
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Yes, she needs parental permission and consent. They say no, he dates her, he gets criminally charged. (I thought I already said that.)

Again - what is your interest?

Jan 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
    If she has been engaged in sex and it can be proven he could be in trouble. WA laws are a bit contradictory here: Washington – Age of Consent Laws | Moral Outrage So there may be some prosecutable offenses here.

However, there are no laws against dating. They are not breaking any laws by dating now. However, if the parents forbid their dating and make sure the guy is aware of it, he could then be in trouble if he continues contact.

The question is how can the guy know he is violating the parent's orders if he is not informed of it. Granted a 19 yr old shouldn't be dating a 15 or 16 yr old without meeting the parents, but he's not breaking any laws by doing so. He might be breaking laws if he engages in any of the prohibited actions referred to in that linked page. But that would have to be proven and I don't see any way to do so.

I'm wondering who you are in this situation? What is your interest? Also why do the parents object without even meeting him?

You don't say how the daughter came to tell her parents about the relationship, or how long it has been going on both before and since telling them.

But they do control the daughter. So how can they date if the daughter is kept on a short leash? They need to monitor her activities. She goes to school and comes home. If she goes to any other activities, she needs to be chaperoned.

Jan 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
    What can he get charged with? Even if sex isn't involved ?

My youngest sister is in this situation and I was wondering if there was any other way they could date without parent permission because soon she will be 16. I thought it was legal in the State of Washington, there only 38 months apart.

Jan 22, 2012, 03:19 PM
    Again there are no laws against dating. But there are laws against sexual activity for someone her age. There are also laws against parental interference.

So, there is no legal way they can date if your parents don't approve. What could happen to him depends on what he is charged with. He could get jail time, sexual offender status or just probation.
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
    You aren't understanding the answers. They can date BUT if the parents say "no" (or technically if it's behind the parents' backs) he CAN be criminally charged.

Why are you helping your sister defy her parents? And if they ARE having sex (or will have sex) are you prepared to be an aunt? I guarantee she's not prepared to be a mother and he's not prepared to be a father.

Jan 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
    I think we've made this very clear. She is a minor, therefore, she can only date with parental approval.

Jan 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Okay. Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 26 year old girl dating a 18 year old boy, is that wrong? [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 26 year old lady and I am considering dating an 18 year old guy. I just wanted to know what you all think. Is it wrong? He has no problem but his mom do. She thinks I will end up using her son and believe me that is not my intention. Any advice?

Is it against the law to be 19 and dating a 15 year old [ 9 Answers ]

Is it against the law to be dating a 15 year old female if you are a 19 year old male but you have the mothers consent to be with her and we are waiting to have sex until legal age or she is ready

View more questions Search