Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rehtaeh71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Single mom with daughter, can I buy a one-bedroom house?
    I'm a single mom with a 13 year old daughter. I want to buy a one-bedroom house to cut expenses, and I need to know if it is legal for us to share the one bedroom (I plan to put a divider up to separate our spaces. Or, if she could have the bedroom, and I would sleep in the living room on a futon or hide-a-bed. Is that legal? We live in northern Indiana. The house I want to buy is about 5 minutes from where we live now.
    thedogghater Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Yes,the only problem u might run into is the father or if the child would get madd and start something good luck
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Hello reh:

It is not illegal to share a bedroom, and it doesn't matter if the father gets madd.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 07:06 AM
    As indicated, its not illegal. You don't say though, what your daughter feels about it. And I wonder if the question was prompted by her protests? Thirteen is an age where privacy is very important.

Does the house have a basement or attic space? Maybe, you can offer that, if she does the work to finish the space, she can then have her own space. Some drywall and paint shouldn't cost too much.
    rehtaeh71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2007, 07:49 AM
    My daughter is fine with it, because going from a rental apartment which costs $400 a month, the house payment would be $82 per month. The $318 left over would help us tremendously. She is fine with putting up a divider in the house. I'm willing to let her have the bedroom and I'll sleep on the couch. I really don't care. I'm just looking at the financial savings. Her father hasn't seen her since she was 2. He's probably in jail somewhere. It's not like he can't find us. He only EVER paid $100 in child support, so obviously he doesn't care. I fought him in court for years for support, but he's on SSI, and you should see the number of websites out there for deadbeat fathers on SSI, on how to avoid paying child support. Nice, huh? So, I'm trying to do what's best for my child and myself by moving into a place with a cheaper payment. I don't think that's wrong, and I think her father should have no say in it. He hasn't helped with any of the other expenses. I've raised her all by myself, so it's MY decision. I just wanted to know if it is legal, concerning the home loan for a parent and child to share a room, or for the parent to sleep in the living room, to save some $$. That's all I need to know.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2007, 07:53 AM
    There shouldn't be any issue then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single Mom Twins Horrible Father [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone! Im an 18 year old single mom of twin girls. Alexa and Jade. They were born prematurely and Jade passed away after 10 days and now I have Alexa. Alexa has been in my care only since she was born and I do not work I stay at home with her. We recently just had a custody battle with her...

Mother and single parent daughter sharing a house [ 7 Answers ]

I am a single parent of an 8year old girl and I recently received a job which is causing me to relocate. When I notify my mother of the job and the relocation, she asked if she could live me. I was instantly horrified, my mother is controlling, intrusive, noisy, opinionated, bossy and...

Confused Single Mom [ 26 Answers ]

I am writing for two reasons: Single mom raised son & daughter ,I worked two jobs so they could go to karate, dance, extra activities, school clothes etc. Dad saw children on holidays by choice.. child support 50.00 weekly for 16 years.. Dad has his own family and large corporation on books ,now...

Single mom [ 13 Answers ]

Daughter is 20, in the Navy, pregnant, and single. Baby's father is in the marines with three more years to serve. My daughter may/may not separate from the Navy after baby is born. She and baby's father are not together nor care to be. If she separates from the Navy, she would like to return...

Single mom wanting sole custody [ 3 Answers ]

I am due to have my baby on July 11, 2005 and I want to take my ex-husband to court to get sole custody. I work fulltime and rent a two bedroom house and my ex lives with his girlfriends parents and has had several juobs in the past year and never stays at a job for a long time. He has 2-3 felonies...

View more questions Search