Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tina salinas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 04:11 PM
    How to talk to my daughter
    My daughter is only 11 yrs old and she's talking to guys online. These guys age vary from 16-25. What should I do?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 04:22 PM
    If the computer is not already, it should be in a common room where you can look over her shoulder and see what is going on. If this still continues you need to be the parent and take the computer away.
    pooja s27 Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2010, 02:11 AM

Tina,

I agree by suggestion to keep the computer in common room so that you can have a look of what she does but again this can lead to both good and bad( bad because she may start finding other ways going to her friends place to chat and other alternatives) so speak up to your daughter that she needs to concentrate on her studies and
    As a mother make her understand that you would always wish to see her good and that you are advising for her good. Don't try to be strict but try to deal it smartly and with love
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 12, 2010, 08:10 AM
    She is 11 years old and talking to guys, including 25 year olds? Do you have any idea how dangerous this is? You are allowing her to 'chat' to MEN and that has to stop.

Take away the computer! Make it very clear that you will be putting parental controls on the machine which will not allow her to use any chat function, or inappropriate website that alows her to communicate with men. When you have put the appropriate controls on the computer, and restrictted her use, allow her to use it- supervised- only for homework.

If it were me, I would also be reporting the men that have been contacting her. Surely you are aware of online predators that target children, and what the possible outcome could be from allowing her to continue.

You are the parent. Put a stop to it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 09:30 AM

I agree with Jake. Take the computer away. Then tell her upfront the dangers of her chatting on line with men in the 16-25 age range. After all, any man that age who chats with 11-year-old girls who are strangers is nothing short of a pervert, plain and simple! Your daughter may feel flattered by the attention but assure her that that's not the kind of attention she wants.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 07:10 PM
    I agree with all the other posters but would also suggest that the other thing you can do is buy (or download) an internet parental block program where you can control the sites your daughter accesses.

Set in place some boundaries - she's far too young to be chatting to guys on-line and perhaps she needs another hobby or some physical interests such as sport or dancing.

The best thing, of course, is to talk to her. Explain why you're concerned, and explain that as her mother you have a 'duty of care' to protect her welfare against on-line predators. She has no way of knowing who the predators are, and probably neither do you so it's better to be safe than sorry!
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2010, 08:14 PM

Had to spread the rep gemini, but a new hobby is a great idea. She should be interacting face to face with her peers, not chatting online with older boys and men.

Tina- you need to make sure she understands the dangers. Right now you can use parental controls to restrict her access to sites and protect her. But she needs to understand why so that later, when you can't be there to watch over her shoulder she still knows how to be safe online. Children aren't the only targets online, they're just the most vulnerable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My teenage daughter won't talk to me. [ 14 Answers ]

I just recently found out my teenage daughter is pregnant not to mention she had stopped going to school for about 30 days. She has decided to keep the baby; however, our relationship has really gotten bad. She won't talk to me. I was angry of course when I found out after she had been lying...

Getting my 2 year old daughter to talk [ 6 Answers ]

What things can I do to encourage my 2 year old to talk. She just turned 2 2-27-09

My adult daughter won't talk to me [ 9 Answers ]

Hi... I'm stressed as can be. My daughter who just graduated from college just moved home in May. She did it to save money before she plans to move to another state. However, she made my life and my teenage son's life miserable. (I'm a single mom). All I asked that she do is help keep the house...

How to talk to a 10 yr old daughter about boy's [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I am married and have a 10 yr old daughter and a 3 yr old boy. Yesterday me and my husband just found out that a boy 11yrs old like's our daughter. The father of the little boy aprouched my husband by telling him that he's son wanted to hold my daughter's hand. My husband out of shocked and...

View more questions Search