Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdseeley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 12:16 PM
    How to replace existing HD with a larger one
    I need to replace a 60gb HD in my HP PC with a newer larger drive.
    The OS is Win XP Home edition. I believe the old drive is IDE type.
    The newer Drives are EIDE or SATA types in computer stores. I would
    Like to buy a SATA 500gb drive for my PC. Would this type work in my current PC
    And how to replace ? Please help.
    Thanks
    RD
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2009, 12:22 PM

If your machine supports the IDE format for its hard drive, it's unlikely that it will support the SATA. EIDE is the same as IDE (Extended IDE). Your current IDE drive is probably an EIDE.

I'd suggest you buy another EIDE drive. Once in a while, you run into problems where the BIOS won't work properly with a larger drive. If you can update your BIOS to the latest version, before putting in a new drive, you are more likely not to have problems.

You can buy an SATA drive and an interface card. I did that in my computer.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Mar 28, 2009, 09:07 PM

As long as your computer would support a larger hdd I would get the biggest one you could get and find a program called norton ghost 1.0 I thin

Basically what it does it copies yourexisting hdd to a new one byte for byte and makes it fully bootable as if you were using the old one
    You could use ide or sata just make sure if you use ide set the source drive to master and the destination drive to slave or use cable select which ever works and I have done this before to I went from a 80 gb ide to a 160 gb ide to a 500 gb sata no problems whatsoever
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2009, 09:58 PM

Use Ghost to create an "image" of your current set up, remove old drive and replace with new drive, use ghost to restore image to new drive.

EIDE to SATA doesn't matter.

Creating Backups - Helljack6.com

Mar 29, 2009, 10:00 PM

You could insert the new drive and do a disk to disk copy it's a lot faster and easier using ghost

Mar 29, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmaster1 View Post
    you could insert the new drive and do a disk to disk copy it's a lot faster and easier using ghost
    Yes, but having a restore image is faster to recovery from, and no, it's not any faster, it's going to be slower because you're COPYING disk to disk instead of ARCHIVING.

Mar 29, 2009, 10:05 PM

Not really man it's slower if you do hdd to disk then to hdd vs if you do hdd to hdd it actually goes much faster and apparently you've never used norton ghost 1.0

Mar 29, 2009, 10:10 PM

Creating Backups - Helljack6.com

I'm a Ghost master, I've used Ghost to ghost across the network to deploy images to over 200 systems at once using Ghostcast server. Ghost 1.0? What century are you working in?

OP if you have other issues, go to R A D I F I E D | Splash, they specialize in the various ways of using/manipulating every version of Ghost.

Mar 29, 2009, 10:17 PM

That's real common of you to insult somebody over a version of a program they use and plus ghost 1.0 is extremely simple no bs and is extremely easy to use and plus didn't you pretty much copy my answer in one of the previous posts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

G9T08012UPB13C Coleman furnace inducer wheel broke, just replace or is problem larger [ 18 Answers ]

My model # G9T08012UPB13C furnace inducer motor started making a horrible sound. I turned the unit off. I pulled the motor and opened the wheel housing to find the wheel was still attached to the motors spindle, but the edge of the wheel had been damaged and was scraping the side of the housing,...

How to Install or replace a New OS with your existing OS? [ 2 Answers ]

How to install a New OS (Windows XP Prof.) to your existing OS (Windows Vista)? Rather, do I need to Reformat my PC first to install the New OS? & How to re-format a PC?:confused: Thanks!

Replace 5 ton with a 4 ton AC; keep existing duct work [ 3 Answers ]

I have to install a new air conditioning unit. The old one is dead (Heil 60LC-000087CR; a 5 ton machine manufactured in 1991) Two contractors have bid to replace it (Trane 13 SEER and a Lennox 14 SEER). Both have recommended 5 ton machines. However on this site and other literature - proper...

View more questions Search