Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbyh Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2006, 04:31 PM
    Two finger toilet flange?
    I am about to install a toilet flange onto a 3" pvc pipe in my basement. I have been reading the postings and see that I have an option of fitting the flange over the 3" pipe or using something called a two finger toilet flange that fits inside the pipe. The waste pipe is not exactly perpendicular (off only a little) causing the outside mounting flange to sit nearly 3/16 inch higher off the bathroom floor on one side. The two finger flange seems to fix this problem.

On the other hand the two finger flange sure seems like a small hole! Will I be in for clogs?

If I go with the outside fitting flange I could probably get the flange to sit level with the floor quite easily w/o damaging the flange... the pvc pipe has a little movement in the sand/dirt underneath and the screws would hold the flange down. Will this disrupt the fitting between the flange and the pipe as I would probably be forcing the flange level during the drying time of the pvc cement.

I could be making too much out of this problem. Am I headed for trouble with the two finger flange? Clogs etc? If I do get clogs will this possibly blow out the wax ring? Thank you!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2006, 04:57 PM
    I see Tom's not on right now so I'll give you my experience. The biggest diameter waste "tube" I've found in a toilet is 2 inches.

In other words, the best toilet I've found can flush a 2" ball.

...so if the diameter of the 2 finger flange is more than 2" then it's probably bigger than the waste passage through your toilet... so you should be just fine.

Does that make sense?

[Do, though, give it another day. Our resident plumbing expert will set you straight fer sherr ]
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2006, 05:42 AM
    "The waste pipe is not exactly perpendicular (off only a little) causing the outside mounting flange to sit nearly 3/16 inch higher off the bathroom floor on one side. The two finger flange seems to fix this problem."

So would shaving the pipe to floor level and installing a regular flange.(Just giving you a option.) Ricks correct, ( although I thought the opening was 2 5/8ths) both flanges would work.

"Am I headed for trouble with the two finger flange? Clogs etc? If I do get clogs will this possibly blow out the wax ring?"

No to both questions. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling my bathroom. I've removed the old toilet and dug up the old flooring and subflooring. Together they were about 7/8" in thickness. Since I will now have a lower floor, what do I do to put in a new toilet flange? The old one was brass and only 1/4" thick and simply had the drain...

Toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I realized as I was installing the subfloor in my new bathroom that I had cut off the pvc to short. It is slightly lower that the subfloor. Is there a longer flange which will solve this problem or should I remove the floor add a coupling and more pvc to raise the height? Thanks, m2

Toilet Flange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4" PVC pipe with a metal flange that originally appears to have been secured to the concrete floor with concrete nails. The nails have rusted through and out and the concrete is a bit broken up underneath the flange. Is there something I can "Inject" into the space under the flange where...

Toilet flange too low [ 1 Answers ]

I discovered a leak in the base of the upstairs toilet that had soaked the subfloor and cause the tile to come loose. I removed the tile and discovered that it had been set on a plywood backer. I removed the plywood and cut out the rotting wood around the toilet. This exposed the ABS plumbing...

Toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of re-settin my toilet, It is located in the basement and the toilet flange sits on top of the ceramic tile. It is not flush with the tile. I have reset the toilet three times using various thickness of wax. These only last so long. I have purchased a wax free bowl gasket...

View more questions Search