Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebecca09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Child support and rights
    :confused: :confused: Hello. I am new to this site. I am a single mom. My daughter is two. Her father and I never married. He wants to relinquish his rights to her. It is all very upsetting. However, he doesn't want to be responsible for her in any which way possible. I have heard that if a parent who initiated the support order, went to the courts, they could ask that the order be stopped. Is this true? If the parents get back together, can this happen? I know that it is more of a financial problem for him, I mean he has never, ever had to be responsible for anything. Can a father give up his rights to a child? Can I ask the courts to stop the order? If a parent is unstable, emotionally and financially, if a parent is abusing drugs, and the opposite parent knows it is for the best, y can't it happen?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Do you realize how many dads would be running to the court to do that if that was the case?
    If you are rich enough to support her on your own you can possibly work something out
    But he would still be responsible if and when you aren't able to.

He doesn't have to see her but that is a separate issue.
    He still doesn't have to give up rights if he can't be bothered. He can just not see her no giving up rights required for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support rights [ 3 Answers ]

Does paying child support give you more rights than the court has already given you? The situation is this, the father of the child just 2 months out of prison, he is a career criminal and drug abuser, was given joint custody by the court because the person from family services did not give her...

Child Support/Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father left me when I was pregnant. No contact at all my whole pregnancy.He did not see his son until he was 4 months old. From age 4 months to age 4 he was back and forth. He wasn't the best dad, but he wasn't the worst. He would get him on some weekends when he had his other son and...

View more questions Search