Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hayley_J Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 08:21 AM
    He's not her father
    Me and my partner have split up, we have never been married, I have a 15 month old child which he is not the biological father to, but his name is on the birth certificate as her father, does he have any rights? Can anyone help??
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Jan 27, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Yes, he would have rights if his name is there.
    Why would you put him on the birth cert. if he is not the father?

Jan 27, 2008, 08:25 AM
    He's not her father
    I live in the u.k. I am split from my patner, I have a 15 month old child to which he is not the biological father to but he is on the birth certificate as her father, does he have any rights?
    Momma to three Posts: 53, Reputation: 14

Jan 27, 2008, 08:26 AM
    It depends on the laws of your state, but in most areas, he would have rights as her father if his name is on the birth certificate. If you don't want him to have those rights, you will have to prove that he is NOT the father.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Jan 27, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Most likely, he does have rights right now because he's on the birth cert. You would need to have him proven to not be the father and then remove him from the birth cert. By having rights, he would also have responsibility, as in paying support. It's also possible that you may be in trouble for fraud by putting the wrong name down for the father. Does he know that he's not the father? And are you positive that he's not the father?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2008, 08:53 AM
    In the US, the legal father is the person named on the birth certificate. Fro those rights (and responsibilities) to be removed, the bio father would have to request a paternity test and petititon to amend the birth certificate.

{Note: threads merged}

Jan 27, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Dna
    If DNA results proved that the person named on the birth certificate as the father was not the biological father, would the biological father then have more rights than the named father on the birth certificate.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 10:01 AM
    It depends on the laws of your particular state. Generally, signing a birth certificate constitutes an acknowledgement of paternity and therefore establishes legal paternity, with all of the accompanying rights and responsibilities. How old is the child in question, i.e. how long ago did the birth occur? That'd be a relevant factor as well. What were the circumstances under which the (presumably) non-biological father signed the birth certificate? All of these and other questions come into play when making such a determination.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2008, 10:10 AM
    You were asked before not to start new threads, please reply to the thread and keep the same questions together. I've again merged the threads to maintain continuity.

You need to consult a solicitor. Some states in the US have laws that state that after a period, the person listed on the because will remain the legal father even if a paternity test proves otherwise.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 01:21 PM
    The issues you have is that the person listed on the birth certificate is the real father by law. So until you go to court and have him removed from the birth certificate he will be the father legally.

The legal father ( even if not the real father) has all the rights, the real father has none until he is reconised legaly as the father.

So you have a long court cases ahead of you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Adoption from biological Father to Step Father [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights. She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost. If...

How do I tell my soon to be baby father he may not be the father? [ 7 Answers ]

Well me and my first daughters father were taking a break from each other and I got pregnant and I'm not too sure if he is the father of my new child or not and I have no idea how to tell him without breaking his heart...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search