Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msf7715 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Giving up rights!
    My 8 year old daughter has asked me if her step dad can adopt her. I have not had much contact with her in the last 6 years due to her mother moveing from state to state with her new husbands job. I am in some seruios trouble with the attorny general right now because I have been unable to pay my 300.00 a month child support in about a year. I have an agreement with the attorny general in getting it paid off but with my daughter asking me to let her step dad adopt her mylawyer has said that all back child sapport will go away if this is something I wanted to do. I am not sure that I can go threw with it, but on the other hand if this is what she wants and I am starting to think it might be best for her what should I do. I love my daughter more than life it's self and it's not about the money. I just don't know what to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Your attorney must have some magic wand others on this site did not have, while it does stop the current child support, it normally does not do away with the past support
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Jan 25, 2008, 06:18 PM
    I know a guy who thought it was best to give up his rights and let the step-dad adopt his child. He now SERIOUSLY regrets that decision and has been fighting for a LONG time to get that reversed. It's VERY hard to reverse this sort of thing. If you decide to do it, you better make sure you can live with that decision for the rest of your life.

As far as the child support goes... have you paid ANYTHING in the last year?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up my rights [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4yr old daughter that I have never seen. I live on the other side of the states from her. I pay child support faithfully, but yet I am never able to see her every time I get back home. There is always a reason why. Well I found out that her mother is getting married, and there was talk...

Giving up rights. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok.. this is the deal.. my boyfriend and I have been dating off and on for 5 years in October.. when we were 2 years into our relationship the only other girl he has ever been with got pregnant.. (we were not together at the time).. well at first both were like we don't want this kid.. she took the...

Giving up rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have been paying child support for 3 years for my son. The judge ordered that I had visitation rights every other weekend. She won't let me see him every other weekend and she will only let me see him when she is willing been to court a lot of times and still nothing. So I have came up with...

Giving up rights [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of my child has been very unfair with me, my question is if I relinquish my rights from my son, do I still pay support?

Giving up his rights? [ 12 Answers ]

If my ex husband wants to give up his rights to my daughter does someone have to be there to take over his rights or not?? He has not been in her life at all and she is only 18 months old. He wants to give up his rights but not to my soon to be husband unless he has to, so I am trying to find out...

View more questions Search