Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    concerned10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Child does not want to see father.
    Good Morning...

I just wanted to get your advice about some custody questions... My 7 yr old daughter has never had a close relationship with her Dad... He never really bonded with her or spend much time with her when she very young... he has a strick demeanor and not very loving or warm... he also was abusive to our dog in front of our daughter for a several years... she seems very intimidated by him, and I can only think it is from all of the above... we are now separated and he hasn't really tried to contact us for the last month or so... we have been divorced for over three years, but did get back together for a while and then finally split for the last time in May 07... but my question is... my daughter does NOT want to go see him or even allow me to let him come over... in the past when we were separated he has always tried to at least call and ask to have lunch or something... he always tried to make it look like I am trying to stop the contact, but I have only been listening to my daughters wishes... the last time I made her go we met him at the mall for not even an hour and I went shopping while they went off with each other and when we left she cried and cried on the way home and said that it was my fault the I made her go...

I am worried since we have not heard from him that he may be going to the courts to try to get some sort of visitation forced... we have never went through the friend of the court before... we usually just worked it out ourselves...

My main concern is... if he does do something like that... what am I able to do if my daughter gets upset and does not want to go... do I have any grounds to prevent that...

Thank you for your help...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2008, 08:03 AM
    If he files for visitation rights, there will be a hearing. At that hearing your daughter can talk to the judge and explain what she wants. No guarantee the judge will rule against him, but that really is your only option.

At 7 your daughter is old enough to understand that she can't always have her own way. That this is her father and if he is making an effort to be with her, she owes him some respect.
    Momma to three Posts: 53, Reputation: 14

Jan 22, 2008, 08:05 AM
    If there is a visitation order put in place, then you, as the custodial parent, are REQUIRED to make sure your child goes on those visits, unless you can prove to the court that her father is unfit. Unfortunately, courts don't believe that children should be allowed to choose whether they spend time with their noncustodial parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Father child [ 3 Answers ]

Can a father legally bring his child to his side of the family to visit or for family reuions, or just to have a place to watch his daughter away from a stressful and hostile environment for a few hours a day, without getting in trouble by the law. He has never been allowed to bring his 7 month...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search