Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mybeautifuldaughter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Child's bio father wants back in life!
    :confused: My daughter was born almost 13 years ago. Her biological father saw her when she was 2 weeks old and then my daughter and I moved from one state to another. He knew where we went and how to contact us for anything. He chose not to. On her first birthday we got $100.00 and a car seat. Now after 12 years he wants to become a part of her life. I do not know what to do. Should I let my daughter give him a chance and hopefully she will not get disappointed? Or do I disappoint her myself and tell him no? He does not pay child support or anything. I did not put him on her birth certificate and pretty much let him do as he wanted to 12 years ago. I guess that was a BIG mistake. Can any one give me some pointers on what I should do?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Do whatever it takes to get his name added to the birth certificate and apply for child support.
    Let her see him when they want and is convenient to schedules. Don't let him just decide when it is convenient for him to take her. I wouldn't encourage him or set up any type of joint custody at least until you all feel comfortable with it. If you refuse to let him see her it could end up her resenting you for it and holding it against you. She needs to learn for herself. Just because you may have had a bad relationship doesn't necessarily mean they will.
    nice2meetya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 08:20 PM
    My husband just decided to be apart of his seven year old daugther's life. It has been REALLY hard on me. But we really need to think of the children. As much as you don't want to have your daughter get to know him, maybe they both need this. I know that my husband said that he wants to change and do the right thing from now on. His daughter's mom has been gracious enough to let him do that without much grief. He is really happy. I hope things work out for you too.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 08:24 PM
    First no, his name does not have to be on the birth certificate to get child support, you merey have to file, and if he accepts responsibility, signs, he will have to pay, if he chalenges it, you get a DNA test ( court may requrie a DNA test either way)
    But to be honest you should have first had a child custody order in place from the week she was born and a child support order.

At this point, I would let the child decide, but either way, you should file for child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2008, 08:33 PM
    If he pursues it, he can probably force visitation. If you challenge him, he can force a DNA test and then file for visitation. Unless you can prove he's a danger to her he will probably get visitation. You may be able to force supervised visitation initially.

You can counter sue for child support and that may cause him to back off. But I would first talk with your daughter and see what she wants. She is old enough to be a part of the decision.
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 31, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Perhaps the move to another State was too much distance for him to maintain a relationship. 12 years is a long time, he probably regrets and feels a parental urge to know his daughter. Seems your only focus is the monetary responsibility at this time but you left the state, you didn't include him on the birth certificate, and you did not seek help from him in raising her, you basically alienated their relationship. Again, 12 years is a long time but not to late, if you stop this your daughter may resent you some day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting my child's father out of the picture [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a teenager mother of a 7 month old baby boy! During my pregnancy, my child's father wasn't around because I got pregnant, he told me to have an abortion, and his mother told me to put the child up for adoption, they were dead against having him come into the world. So our relationship...

I don't want father in my child's life but I want his money. [ 8 Answers ]

Although there will be people who want to trash me I will be forward with my situation. I had a one night stand with a friends husband and became pregnant from it. Even though I knew this would destroy his marriage and family, I always wanted a kid and I knew he made good money and would take...

Wrong father on child's birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters birth certificate is incorrect. While stationed in the military at Fort Jackson S.C. I had my daughter. The wrong father is listed on her birth certificate. While living in South Carolina I was told that I needed a lawyer to fix the problem. I never had the money to correct the problem...

I don't want him in my child's life anymore [ 4 Answers ]

My soon to be ex estranged husband for 7 years has never been there physically finacialy, or emotionly for my 7 year old son. I'm filing for divorce trying to do it on my own but I've come to a glitch. He says he don't want nothing to do with our son he wants to start over. So he heard from a...

My child's father will not stop going back to crack [ 4 Answers ]

Now what? I have a multi faceted quandry on my hands. I have to have compassion right? I mean I am a recovering addict too! Something to the tune of 2 years under my belt free and clear of my Drug of choice.. heroin. We have a beautiful 9 month old babygirl! He speaks program and can even live...

View more questions Search