Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Worried...
    I have been really stressed out lately and I am findind myself unable to go to bed until the early hours of the morning (even thiugh I am tired) and I am not able to eat properly either. At times I feel sick (but never am sick). Yesterday I went to work (on an empty stomach) as I just wasn't Hungry. I ate a Sandwich at 2pm and then I went and did a disco from 4.30pm - 7pm. I got home about 8pm and had some cheese on toast around 10pm.

Please don't suggest the Doctors to me - as I have been to them in the past for this and they always say the same thing.

Is this just my body reacting to the stress?? This happened once before when my boyfriend of two years broke up with me - but I was severely depressed then and I am not depressed now.

Any ideas??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Stress for sure but those are signs of a mild depression. You may want to do a little introspection to see if there is anyhting major in your life that's bugging you. Best to try to find a solution to the cause instead of trying to treat the individual symptons.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2005, 05:53 AM
    Well I was diagnosed with Depression at 17yrs old - so no matter what it is stuck with me for life - I just have to learn to control it - I have recently started getting panic attacks again - but I have great control over them as I am able to recognise the symptoms and then occupy my mind to stop them happening.

I mean my parents have split up - my baby girl Cassie (my cat of 14yrs) has gone missing - has been missing now nearly two weeks and I fear she may be dead and my job sucks. So I know the reasons behind my stress and behind me being down.

I am able to function as normal and be myself as I have great control of my emotions - but that is probably why I am now getting these physical problems which is not a good thing.

The other thing is I am smoking more than I ever have done in my life - really need to stop!!

I think I may have just answered my own question.

Now I need to know how I can get a grip!!
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2005, 06:06 AM
    Those all together would certainly get someone down. There are some changes you can make to the way you view some things. Your cat was at least 14 years old and that's at the outer limits of a cat's lifespan. My cat did the same thing years ago, just suddenly did not come home. He and I were good buddies but I was moving at the time to be with my now wife (maybe he felt that... hmmm... ) It's no comfort to you at all to know this but sometimes an answer is better than lingering doubt.

I wasn't aware that your job sucked, I thought you liked it. See it you can plan to make changes to your career that are more in line with what makes you happy. Won't happen overnight but knowing that you are creating your own better path is encouraging to one's self.

The increased smoking bit is just related to your stress/depression... unless the boyfriend smokes a lot and you're picking up the habit.

I am never one to ever recommend meds but my wife had a little post partum depression after kid #2 and the doctor prescribed some antidepressants that she says really helped. She weaning off them now which is good for me since it affected her libido :( . You never know, it could be an option form you that adds to your enjoyment of life.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2005, 06:13 AM
    Well it's not the job that's sucks - more that the people I work with. I am getting the blame for anything that goes wrong (even if it has no relevance to what I do) and I am not appreciated in the slightest. Promised a payrise 3 months ago - never received it and having to work extra hours Djing just so that I have enough money to support my lifestyle. (That probably isn't helping either)

I was put on anti-depressants when I was 17yrs - I felt like my world was upside down and was quick to stop taking them. I did not want pills to help me get a grip on life - I ended up doing it on my own with support of friends & Family but it took years. I really don't want to go down that road again.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 02:59 AM
    Jut wanted to say thank you for your help. I am still stressed but feel more focused today - I think I am starting to get a grip :)
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 03:24 AM
    No problem. Every day is different. :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 03:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    No problem. Every day is different. :)
    You are 100% spot on there ;)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2005, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'

I mean my parents have split up - my baby girl Cassie (my cat of 14yrs) has gone missing - has been missing now nearly two weeks and I fear she may be dead and my job sucks. So I know the reasons behind my stress and behind me being down.

I also have an older cat and if he was missing I'd be extremely upset and depressed... he's like my baby! And working with people you don't like is extremely stressful too. So that along with everything else going on in your life... I'd be surprised if you didn't feel at least a little depressed. Hang in there!
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Dec 22, 2005, 07:12 PM
    I don't know if this will help, but when I get depressed I usually go swimming. The repetitiveness of swimming helps to stop the worrying for a little while and it makes me feel better about myself. I used to smoke too, but quit when I started worrying about that too! I hope that you feel better soon.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2005, 07:15 PM
    Dj'h'
    I'd bet anything your cat being missing has a lot to do with how you feel.Our animal friends become very close to us and when there not there its like an empty spot in our hearts,until you reconcile his absents in your own mind,you'll be sad and this can effect eating,sleeping and most other parts of your life.I don't know what God has in mind for your cat but wish you well in the meantime.:cool: ;) :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2005, 07:16 PM
    Different
    In so many ways each of us is different.

Normally I run on about 6 hours sleep each night, If I lay around 8 or9 hours I am tired all day.

But for many a nice herbal tea, warm bath and some ocean sounds makes sleep nicer.

For me, I drink a nice coffee before bed, I know it is not what they say, but it makes me sleep fine.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2005, 07:16 PM
    DJ H,

Hello,

Those do sound like signs that there is something wrong. You mention that you diagnosed with depression when you were 17 years old. Well in your last post you said you are smoking lots more. Smoking can cause appetite suppression and can also make depression worse. It effects the brain and your whole body. It could actually be making you feel more nervous. As others was saying you have a lot going on, with your step dad and mom, with your cat, job, and worrying about your friends would take a toll on you. I know you have been a lot more emotional lately but believe me when I say everybody goes through times like these. It does not last. Thank God. You Do have such a good outlook on life and love trying to be everything to a lot of people. Just know that just because you experienced depression when you 17 does not mean this is the exact thing. Worrying about it and obsessing over what might be happening again could make it worse and you could go down that road again. So it is good for you to relax, talk, chat, email, write and find somebody that you can share your thoughts and feelings with and I am sure they will share similar stories and it will help you get through this rough time. Try to stay close with friends and family and be open and honest with them of how your feeling and I am sure the support will give you a lift that you need.

Let us know how things are going.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2005, 05:25 AM
    As always - thank you for all your support. Reading all your posts has bought tears to my eyes - especially the part about my daring cat cassie. I think I may be grieving for her. She has been gone two weeks now and my hope that she is still alive is fading. So I think that could be the reason.

But everything else that is going on is just making it ten times worse.

Thank Jesushelper as always - you seem have me sussed out and you are spot on as usual ;)
    JessicaW8 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
    Try more exercise during the day. And eating cherries is said to help you sleep at night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Worried. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Am a guy of 22 and at ma age I don't have a beard and there are no sign it would *** out in the next year,it worries me to c people below ma age wit beard and wit this I look younga than them,is there anytin I can do or use? I look a bit younga than ma age and very soon I'll be graduating...

Should I be worried [ 6 Answers ]

My Question I'm A 41 Year Old Female I Came On My Cycle June 28 And I Went Off July 3 From July 5 Until Now I Been Spotting And Little Heavy . This Never Happen And I'm A Lil Scared Is It Normal.:(

I'm worried! [ 14 Answers ]

My dog is to skinny... I have German Shep she's about 14yrs latly she's been having problems walking up & down the stairs... and when I take her for a walk she falls behind.. wobbly when she walks.. and today she only ate one bowl of food... Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Worried Mom [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is dating a guy from another state. He comes here on week ends and she talks to him all the time on the phone. He doesn't have a cell but uses his mothers. When he comes here she pays for everything but denies it when I ask her. She says he pays but I know for sure she does. She is...

View more questions Search