Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    emily34237's Avatar
    emily34237 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 17, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Married in Florida moving to N.C with children (divorce)

    We have not filed for any legal documents yet (divorce). Can I get into trouble for moving myself and my kids out of state to separate fro mtheir father? We are moving from Florida to N.C. The kids were born before the marriage but they are his kids. Can he force me to return legally with the kids? How do I legally move to North Carolina with my kids and not cause any problems in the divorce. He is emotionally abusive, does this matter?
    purplewings's Avatar
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24
    Junior Member

    Mar 17, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Since there is no divorce, there is no custodial parent as yet. This means you can take the children with you. However, it also means he can come and take them back. I believe he can also file charges against you for removing the children from his reach, and force you to answer in court. The court frowns on the action you suggest taking and may force you to return to the area so he can have visitation privileges.

    If I were you, I would get an attorney before making any move of this nature.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
    If he files for custody of the kids, in FL you will have to return for all the court dates, and he can really play with that asking for dates to be continued and so on. Also unless he is a threat to the children, if you do win physcial custody, he will most likely get much longer visits in the summer and christmas and may even have the courts order you to pay for them to be transported back for his visits. ** not saying he will win, but he can ask, and I have often seen this given. He can even ask the court to make you return to Fl with the kids if he can show you did it, only to hide the kids from him.

    I would get an attorney before I did anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Out of State with Children [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in North Carolina and am divorced. We have one child together. Can I move out of state with my child without my ex's permission?

Moving Out of State with Children [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving out of state with my children, before I do I want to make sure there are no problems. Their father and I were never married and have been separated for over a year. He has never paid any support since we have split up. Can I move out of state without his approval?

Florida Divorce/USMC in Iraq [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just got divorced January 19, 2007 in FLORIDA, he is a US Marine that has been put threw the ringer, He is in Iraq right now so I'm trying to help him out. In his "final judgment of dissolution of marriage" it states specifically: Pursuant to the Marital Settlement Agreement,The...

Moving with children [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently divorced and wanting to move to another city with my children. There father has not been actively involved and lived 2 hours from us at this time. I am looking to move to another city that is 20 minutes from where I currently living and have lived with the children since the...

Need Info On A Quick Divorce! In Florida [ 2 Answers ]

After 29 yrs together we have decided to get a divorce, kids are all over 20 yrs old an gone. I own a house and a couple of cars. Can this be a mess or simple task? Can i just file myself without spending a lot of money? Bob::confused: [email protected]

View more questions Search