Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Danielle2002's Avatar
    Danielle2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
    How to Change child's last name
    My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore. The man I've been with for almost 5 years is the only real dad he knows.
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Feb 22, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Can you get him to go through signing papers to allow guy you are with to adopt?
    You should be able to go through family court to have the paperwork processed,
    oneguyinohio's Avatar
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

    Feb 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Get an adoption lawyer. If the biological dad does not agree, go after child support if you are not already... or give him the option to give up rights and not pay support, so the adoption can happen if that is what you want. The court may also decide in your favor if he is not attempting to make any contact... is your new husband willing to adopt? From what I've heard, courts won't allow someone to give up rights or obligations unless there is someone else willing to adopt.

    Hope that is helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing child's last name [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can legally change my child's last name without the father's consent. I live in PA and have primary physical custody and full legal custody.

Changing my child's name [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how I can go about changing my son's name. He's 4 months old. And I made the HUGE mistake of naming him after his "father". His "father" isn't around and never comes to see him. I don't want my son to be named after such a irresponsible loser. What are the steps I need to make?

Wife won't change child's last name to Mine? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my wife won't change her last name or my daughter's last name to mine. Her excuse is that for her to change her last name it would be difficult because she has a business. I believe it is incorporated. She owns 2 houses that she rents out. Her excuse for not changing my daughter's is that...

Minor child's last name change parents never married both last names on Birth certifi [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 and I need to know how to change her last name. Both last names of the parent and non custodial parents last names are on the Birth certificate (hyphenated) but she only uses one name, however schools she attends uses both with the non custodial parents last name first. She...

Changing My Child's Last Name [ 3 Answers ]

I have two children by the same man and my oldest has her father's last name and the youngest has my last name. He asked me through a mediator if I'd be willing to change the youngest child's last name to his. Stupidly I did agree to it and now I am regretting it. He has not shown he has earned the...

View more questions Search