Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    verte24's Avatar
    verte24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 15, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Collecting child support as an adult?
    I am a 24 year old young woman who was abandoned by my father when I was just a year old. Long story short, my father abandoned 2 siblings, myself and my mother, committed polygamy and remarried in another country - without ever paying a cent in child support.

    Having a loose conversation about this subject with my boyfriend, he has motivated me to get information on what I can do as an adult to collect any back pay child support.

    Is it realistic?

    What steps do I need to take?

    I reside in Ca, he in Mexico and does not have dual citizenship, does that matter?

    What information do I need?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 16, 2008, 09:03 AM
    First sorry no, you have no standing to collect money. Your mother, if she had a order of support, can go back to try and collect those money due her that are still not past the statue of limitation to collect.

    The issue of him being in Mexico means there is really no way to collect from him inside the US.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855

    Feb 16, 2008, 11:59 AM
    You are over the age to collect a dime, and had no standing to pursue it in any court. That should have been done by whomever raised you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Collecting Child Support and Not Caring for Child [ 4 Answers ]

My sister in law is trying to place her 3 year old sun for adoption without the father's consent, which I know is wrong but what I'm more consered about is the fact that the child is living with a different family not the mother who has custody. The mother (my sister-in-law) is still collecting...

Collecting Child Support / Payee is in Jail [ 3 Answers ]

My son and I currently reside in Illinois. My son's father resides in Ohio; however, he is currently in jail. Can I collect child support from his Social Security, while he is incarcerated? Thanks, RML :)

Collecting Child Support after 10 yrs [ 4 Answers ]

My room mate told me that there is a federal law that states if you have not paid child support in 10yrs, that they can not make you pay a dime even if there is a court order. Is this true? Will I still be able to collect the court ordered amount if he has Never paid a dime?

View more questions Search