Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    leenee's Avatar
    leenee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 12, 2009, 02:42 PM
    Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes
    My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never done anything her. Thanks
    stevetcg's Avatar
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

    Jan 12, 2009, 07:37 PM

    What does the custody arrangement say? It should specify deductions. If it does not, the parent that provides the most support - typically the custodial - gets the deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Social Security Disability+taxes to custodial parent [ 4 Answers ]

My daughters father was granted his SSD (not retirement or SSI but Disability) and stated that our daughter will receive a check for a monthly amount that is greater than his child support obligation (between $40 and $60 of a difference). He asks that I go to the Social Security office and fill...

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

View more questions Search