Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sugatuss's Avatar
    sugatuss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 27, 2006, 01:58 AM
    Can my boyfriend be my child's father
    I receive temporary assistance and food stamps from the state. When I went to visit my social worker she made me fill out a paper issuing for the collection of child support for the alleged father of my child. I filled it out to the best of my ability. Honestly, I may know exactly who my child's father is, but it's best to not involve him in our lives for our safety and that part of my life is over now. So, since my child was born my boyfriend has been her acting father. I didn't put his name on my child's birth certificate or give her his last name because I didn't want the state to think that he was the biological father and try to take child support from him. So I wanted to know the answers to the following questions:

    1. Can his name ever go on my child's birth certificate and no child support will be taken?
    2. Can my child ever have his last name prior to marriage without child support being taken?
    Depressed in MO's Avatar
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94
    Senior Member

    Dec 27, 2006, 07:51 AM
    I believe you can actually add his name on the birth certificate if the real father's name is not already on there, but then he will be responsible for the support of your child and the state can go after him for child support. However, he may want to rethink that if he does not want to be financially responsible because if you two part one day, he will still be responsible for a child that is not really his. There would have to be a blood test done to prove the child is not his at that point, and then, I'm not sure what the state would decide to do after that. It really depends on the state that you are living in.

    You cannot put his name on the birth certificate if the name of the real father is already on there. The only way you can do that is if the real father gives up his paternal rights to the child and your current boyfriend then adopts her. If that were to actually happen, then your current boyfriend would be financially responsible for your child.

    At this point, you need to prove to the state the reasons you do not want the biological father to be notified of child support.They still may want to pursue him anyway or they could take some or all of your assistance away. So please be careful in making your decision on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother hyphenationg child's last name with stepfather's name [ 8 Answers ]

I recently found out that the mother of my daughter (we were never married) has been hyphenating my daughter's last name to include her new husband's. Even though we were never married, my daughter was giving my last name. I see her several times a week, talk to her several times a week, I have...

He's not my father [ 11 Answers ]

At the beginning of the year, I found out that my Dad is not my father. I am 42 years old and am the 5th children to my parents. My older brother told me that my Dad confessed this to him after his stroke. I have suspected for several years that I wasn't his child after my mother told me about...

I want to see my father [ 2 Answers ]

I want to found my father I know he is a citizenship of u.s.a he is greek his name is teodoros and he lives in u.s.a

Who is most likely the father? [ 25 Answers ]

I was separated from my husband and in an early relationship with someone else. Well I was and am still in love with my husband and we slept together a couple of days and I am now pregnant. The problem is I also kind of slept with my boyfriend the next day. It was for about 10 minutes there was no...

Child's speech pattern [ 1 Answers ]

Should we be worried that my 2 year old grandson talks about himself in the third person. He doesn't say I anything. He calls himself by name. When you ask him a question (sometimes) if it is not phrased correctly he will not respond. If you ask did he do something it is usually no. If you ask...

View more questions Search