Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makomon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease
    My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing one. How do I get them to sign the new lease so I can sell it?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 11:56 AM
    I'm not sure that you can force them to sign a new year-long lease, but I am pretty sure that you can tell them with 30-day notice that you will not be renewing the month to month lease. That might leave you with an empty apartment, if they decided to move instead of signing a lease. I don't know if that would make the situation better or worse for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 12:05 PM
    If they are on a month to month rent merely give them notice they have to move. Then you merely make the apartment available on a lease basis only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Breaking a month to month lease that was signed 2 days ago. [ 1 Answers ]

Would I Be Able To Collect Back Money Paid To A Lessor For Security Deposit And 1st Months Rent If Apartment Is Not In A Sanitary And Safe Condition And the Lease Was Signed 2 Days Ago And Never Moved Into The Apartment And The Lease Is Month To Month

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

Delaware month to month tenant notification of moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Information on the Delaware notification of intent to vacate premises for month to month Tenants. Property management office states you need to give them sixty day notice And then I heard you only have to get a 30 day notice which is it. :confused: royal

View more questions Search