Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richwny15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Month to Month Lease.problems
    I didn't give a 30 day notice on a month to month lease. They want to keep my deposit of 725.00 for the month of September. Problem is I moved August 30th. I never lived there for the month of September. Then they are saying that there is a damage to the rug. It's a small pizza size burn stain due to an iron. A very small portable iron. Now they say its 725.00 to replace. Is this fair is it legal? I don't even think the apartment is legal? Can someone help.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
    If you didn't give notice, you broke the lease, and they can probably keep the September rent (unless you can prove that they got someone in the place before the end of September.) Did you tell them that you left on Aug. 30? If not, they might have reasonable cause to assume that you were still there, which would keep them from renting it out.

And if you damaged the carpet, they can ask you to pay to fix it. You are required to return the apartment in the same condition you got it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Sorry Rich but your landlord is fairly on the mark. The rent for September is his since you need to give 30 days notice on a month to month. I doesn't really matter much if they rerented immediately, 30 days is 30 days and that's what you owe. $725 for carpet repair seems high but not if the entire room must be replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a month to month lease that was signed 2 days ago. [ 1 Answers ]

Would I Be Able To Collect Back Money Paid To A Lessor For Security Deposit And 1st Months Rent If Apartment Is Not In A Sanitary And Safe Condition And the Lease Was Signed 2 Days Ago And Never Moved Into The Apartment And The Lease Is Month To Month

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

If my apartment lease expires and I am on a month-to-month [ 2 Answers ]

If my apartment lease expires and I am on a month-to-month (and paying an additional 105/mo to do so) do I still have to give the 60 days notice in the contract?

Month to month realestate lease Illinois [ 18 Answers ]

Can a month to month tenant live out their security deposit in the state of Illinois

View more questions Search