Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelchild_ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Reactivity of Metals
    Today, my science teacher did some experiments of reacting different metals, like the alkali and alkaline metals with water. Afterwards, we got some questions. This one stumped me. When calcium reacts with water, what gas is produced and how do you know? The next one is the same questions except replace calcium with lithium. Some help please? :)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 09:30 PM
    Well... if all you have is a metal and water the reaction converts the metal to the ionized form by loss of electrons and produces calcium hydroxide and hydrogen gas.

Ca + 2 H2O ---> Ca(OH)2 + H2

You need 2 waters... the ca becomes Ca2+ when it ionizes, the water provides HO-... so need 2 HO- to offset the charge of the calcium.

Only diff with lithium is it is one more column to the left on the periodic table, correct? So what does lithium ionize to? Li+? Li2+? Li3+? Figure this out and then you'll need one hydroxide per +

If you really don't know you need to look in your book. There should be a section on naming common ions. Also may be covered in periodic table discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by angelchild_
    Today, my science teacher did some experiments of reacting different metals, like the alkali and alkaline metals with water. Afterwards, we got some questions. This one stumped me. When calcium reacts with water, what gas is produced and how do you know? The next one is the same questions except replace calcium with lithium. some help please? :)
    angelchild_ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the help :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Three metals attracted to magnet [ 9 Answers ]

What are the three metals that are attracted to a magnet?? Please help!? ;D I know iron and nikle but what's the other one??

View more questions Search