Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaylaxx832 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Enthalpy change, first ionization energy, determine "n", boiling point, vapour press.
    Hey guys, I have about 8-9 questions, so I'm going to cut it down to about 4 per post. I'd appreciate any help that I can get, I have these sample problems, but no answers or workings, and my exam is tomorrow.

1. When 5.00 mL of a 0.60 M solution of a tribasic acid H3A(aq), is reacted with 45.00 mL of 0.20 M NaOH(aq), both at 26.0*C, the final temperature of the combined solution is 28.0*C. Assuming the volumes of the solutions are additive, and the density of the final solution is 1.10 g/mL, calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction in kJ/mol of H3A. Assume the heat capacity of the solution is the same as water.
    H3A(aq) + 3NaOH(aq) --> Na3A(aq) + 3H20(l) deltaH = ?

2. Calculate the first ionization energy of atomic hydrogen from the following data:
    H2(g) + Cl2(g) --> 2HCl(g) deltaH* = -184.62 kJ
    H2(g) --> 2H(g) deltaH* = 435.94 kJ
    Cl2(g) --> 2Cl(g) deltaH* = 243.36 kJ
    Cl (g) + e- --> Cl-(g) deltaH* = -348.79 kJ
    H+(g) + Cl-(g) --> HCl(g) deltaH* = -1395.38 kJ

3. A ground state hydrogen atom can absorb light of wavelength 93.8 nanometers. Determine the value of n for the excited state.
    Rh = 2.179 x 10^-18 J En = - Z^2 x Rh
    n^2

4. Calculate the vapour pressure above a solution made by mixing 321 g of toluene, C7H8 (92.15 g/mol) with 398 g of benzene, C6H6 (78.12 g/mol) at 60*C. At 60*C, the vapour pressure of pure toluene is 140 mmHg and the vapour pressure of pure benzene is 396 mmHg.

5. A solution is prepared by dissolving 31.65 g of NaCl in 220.0 mL of water at 34.0*C. Calculate the boiling point of the solution assuming complete dissociation of NaCl. The density of water at 34.0*C is 0.994 g/mL, the boiling point of water is 100.0*C and Kb for water is 0.51 *C kg/mol.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, and please check out my other post with a couple of more questions.

PLEASE NOTE: This isn't a homework question, I just really need to figure it out before my test, just in case it shows up! :)

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing old "General Controls" thermostat. How to determine what the wire do? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing an old "General Controls" thermostat, model T-90H110A137, 24 volts max, 0.8 AMP. The wires are labelled but not to the current standard of H1/H2/B/O/RC/RH/G/Y/W. how do I determine which wire is for what? The old thermostat controls a furnace and has a continuous fan option. ...

What is the origin of the phrase "Press Charges"? [ 1 Answers ]

I am reading a book by C.J. Sansom called Dark Fire. In the book, there is a description of 1540's English criminal justice system. "When she is brought into court, she will be asked to plead guilty or not guilty. If she refuses the under the law she cannot be tried by a jury. But the...

How to take "energy balance in diff frame of references" [ 4 Answers ]

Imagine there are only three bodies in the universe 1> A gun 2> A bullet already fired 3> A wooden block which is target of the bullet and is stationary wrt gun before impact with the gun All the three observers associated(stationary) with three bodies will see impact then they should have...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search