Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzeegb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
    DVD recorder set up to record from a DVR-Cable receiver
    Trying to get some help with setting up a DVD recorder to a DVR.

The set up we have includes a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-ES25, Onkyo AV Receiver HT-S790, Panasonic TV TH-50PX60U and a Motorola BMC9012 DVR-Cable receiver.

Currently set up as cable input to the DVR, with component cables out to the receiver, and hdmi cable out to the TV. The DVD player is hooked up with component cables out to the receiver and hdmi cable out to the TV. (or at least I think so :o )

We have tried running an s-video to the receiver from the DVR and then component and s-video from the receiver to the DVD recorder but no luck with that. We've tried a bunch of different options also.

Hoping someone can help, thanks.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 17, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Please clarify, when you say "component cables out to the receiver". You mean red and white RCAs? These are audio connections.

Component has green, blue and red RCAs arranged in a group of 3. This is video only.

What you need to do is connect the recorder between the DVR and your receiver.

The dvd recorder's highest recording quality is S-video, so you need to connect the s-video out and the audio out (red and white RCAs) from the DVR to the corresponding inputs on the recorder.

Then connect component video outputs and audio output from the recorder to your receiver's corresponding inputs.

Then the receiver component video output to TV.

This way, you only need to switch the source on the receiver instead and set the TV to the component video inputs.

Unfortunately, in this connection setup you are not getting the best picture available, because you are not using HDMI. The best picture quality you'll see from the DVR will be s-video, because this signal is being passed to the recorder, the recorder then upconverts to component video, then processed by the receiver to your TV.

Now, if your DVR box outputs audio and video simulatenously through all its output connections, then your in luck. You can disconnect component video to your TV, and connect the DVR directly to TV using HDMI. In this way, you will be viewing high quality HD, while being able to record lower-quality s-video at the same time.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD recorder to Satellite AND cable box [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new panasonic DVD recorder that I am trying to connect to both my Satellite box (for international channels) and my Charter Cable DVR. I have been trying to do this for over a week now and cannot get it to work properly with the Charter Cable DVR. I get the lower channels but not the HD...

Vcr/dvd install to satellite dvr/tv [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect a combo dvd/vcr to a dish network satellite dvr/tv?

Hooking up dvd/vcr recorder to a TV with digital cable [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to hook up a dvd/vcr(Pioneer) recorder to a digital cable box with a Panasonic lcd TV.

Hooking DVD recorder and HD cable box together [ 7 Answers ]

This is over my head. I have Hitachi HDTV and a HDTV Cable box Explorer 8300. The cable line from the wall goes into the cable box and then red, green, & blue wires go from Out 1 to input 3 on the back of the TV. Also there are additional red & white wires that go from Out 2 to Input 3 on the...

View more questions Search