Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cunfuzed Posts: 140, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Cd/dvd drive stopped recognizing discs
    The disc drive stopped recognizing my discs. What is the problem and how can I fix it. I have windows vista
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:07 AM

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

Feb 1, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.
    No, I just got this PC last week. I did load up itunes and started loading cds on to put on my iPod. It was working find the first time I was using it, then yesterday, when id put in a cd, it would take and extremely long time to download and would only do one song before I just stopped it. When I would eject the cd it was warm. Then yesterday, when I put the cds in, it wouldn't even show up as being on the drive or in my itunes library, and the light on the PC just kept blinking.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 09:30 AM

Is the cd rom drive seen in windows explorer?

Feb 3, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    is the cd rom drive seen in windows explorer?
    Yes, but the cd is not shown as loaded. Usually if it's a music cd, it shows the cd album title and its not showing.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2009, 09:48 AM

This seems to happen with itunes sometimes

Give this a try, hopefully this will solve issue

Upperfilters/LowerFilters
    Follow method 2 on this link, if this does not resolve problem, the changes you may have made will not effect your computer operation in any way

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Using the Registry Editor
    If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, I would not recommend but suggest to have a friend or someone you know and trust to make these changes. It is a minor edit but still would not recommend if not comfortable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dvd drive won't read blank discs [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, hope someone can help, I'm having problems with my drive, it won't read blank dvd-r/rw's, It's fine when it comes to regular discs with data on them, it just keeps telling me to insert a blank disc even though there's one in there. The number of the disc drive is WDC-WD400BB-00DEA0 (IF...

CD/DVD Drive not recognizing media [ 1 Answers ]

Seems like a common topic, but the prior threads didn't seem to be exactly the same. Sorry, if this is duplicating previous questions. I have a Dell Dimension E521, under 2 years old. CD/DVD Drive suddenly (after no performance issues) stopped reading any discs I placed in it. I first tried...

My DVD/CD DRIVE for my laptop STOPPED working! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there! I bought a hp pavilion laptop about 7 months ago. I could play dvds and cds on it. It was working fine until my little brother did something to make the computer crash. When I tried to reboot it it said to enter my computers recovery disk to restore my computer. After I did I tried to...

View more questions Search