Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley velez Posts: 67, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Cd rom doesn't work, Model- GCR-8483B
    My cd-rom works and is hooked up correctly, but when I click on the drive it tells me to insert a cd, even though one is already inserted. In the properties it says it is working properly. I uninstall it, and it automatically installs itself when it restarts, yet it still never work. No matter what cd-rom I put in my computer it installs the same driver, but I need the driver for the LG electronics Cd-rom, model- gcr 8483b. It is very important!! I have windows server 2003. Alls I want to do is upgrade it to xp, but the Cdrom doesn't work so I can't put in the cd. Also, it doesn't have usb, or a floppy drive. I put a copy of the Windows installation cd in a shared folder from a different PC. When I opened the shared folder from this computer it had the "install now" option grayed out. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions please respond.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 03:21 PM
    You are not going to be able to update 2003 to XP, 2003 is a server software and XP is a stand alone Operating System

Driver is the 2nd one is list
    Drivers & Downloads

Aug 26, 2008, 08:47 AM
    I'm not trying to upgrade to XP, sorry if I worded it wrong. Im trying to reload the PC. Start with a fresh slate with XP. I downloaded the drivers but nothing happened. Do you have any ideas on how I can install XP on this computer. The problem is with the comp not the cd-rom, because when I put a working cd-rom in there it didn't work either, but it has the same "system driver" installed for the device. Is there anyway I can download an evaluation copy of XP and then put in the product key that I have? Also, in the BIOS it says the cd-rom is not installed, even though device manager says it is, and detects it every time I uninstall it. Also, it is drive: H, I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 09:14 AM
    The problem is going to be with the BIOS, the BIOS is going to have to detect the CD Rom regardless if operating system sees it to be able to boot with CD

See if you can get a BIOS update for your system board or if you have access to another CD Rom, try and use that to get the install going and then exchange back

I'm sure you already know info below

How to Format Drive and Install Windows from Scratch
    Code:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live-how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

Aug 26, 2008, 09:58 AM
    How do I change it in BIOS to say the cd-rom is installed? And I have put other working cd-rom in this case, but the same error occurs. Even though the device is detected, and the cd-rom is reading the CD it still says please insert disk. I know the cd-rom works because I've tried it in other cases. I just don't know what the deal is. The comp originally came installed with xp pro, but my work changed it to server 2003, now I have to change it back
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
    It only takes one second for a lightbulb to change its status from "giving light" to "never giving light again". A millisecond. Even having previously used the bulb in other light fixtures may not change the fact that a few seconds ago, it burned out.

So, on the chance that your CD burner is NOW broken, take it out and try it in one of the other computers you mentioned again. Try it now and see if it really can see, read, download and burn in another CPU.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
    But you did mention that your cd rom was not seen in the BIOS, if this is the case, try another cd rom in that computer to see if BIOS can see another CD drive

If not, update your system board's BIOS

Aug 27, 2008, 07:00 AM
    How do I configure the setting in BIOS so that it says Cd-rom is installed, also how do I configure USB settings in BIOS. The only thing I see when I go to BIOS is boot order, and next to USB and CDROM it says not installed, but I can't configure them there

Aug 27, 2008, 07:03 AM
    I have put another CD rom in this case, and bios doesn't recognize it either, also when I try to update BIOS when I click the EXE file it says must be logged on as administrator, and I AM logged on as administrator!! Ive tried logging on as the domain admin in the domain, and as admin on this local computer, neither work

Aug 27, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Well they work I am able to log in, I mean that file still says must be logged on as administrator
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 08:36 AM
    How are you trying to update BIOS,

Aug 28, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Also, I just made an ISO file of the windows XP installation Cd, but when I open it the installation option is still grayed out, is it possible to boot from virtual CD rom

Aug 28, 2008, 06:42 AM
    I am trying to update BIOS with a file I downloaded from the dell support site, GX270A07.EXE . But I don't know if you saw what I wrote earlier, even though I am signed on as administrator, locally, and Ive tried in the domain, It says I need to sign on as administrator. But that file I downloaded is the same version I already have. How do you configure cd rom and USB in bios? When I go to Bios I only see the option to change the boot order, it says they are not installed but there is no option to install them there. They are installed in device manager, but not bios. I have been reading about WoL. Is it possible to boot this PC from a cd-rom on the network. If so how do I do so and what software will I need.

Aug 28, 2008, 06:43 AM
    PS thank you for your help and patience
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Well, it seems you already have the latest version of BIOS so updating is not an option
    There is nothing you can do to force the BIOS to see your cd rom

When you boot up the computer, it initiates the POST (Power-On Diagnostic Test). The POST serves as a quick-and-dirty way to make sure that all the critical components are functioning.

These BIOS features control every aspect of the computer, from the speed at which the processor runs to the transfer mode of the hard disk

After the short delay, the BIOS starts the bootstrap loader routine, which scans for a valid master boot sector on all available drives. This can be anything from a hard disk to a CD-ROM drive

What I would recommend is to set the BIOS defaults, don't know how your BIOS is set up but there will be an option to Reset BIOS Defaults, do that and say Yes and let the computer restart, hopefully by resetting the defaults your cd rom will be seen in the BIOS

To confirm, let computer restart after resetting defaults and then restart the computer and enter the BIOS again to see if the cd rom shows up now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite model quiet guard 7 model 665. [ 12 Answers ]

Six month old dishwasher. Worked fine until today - won't start. LIghts are on and control panel seems to be working OK. The "Clean" indicator is flashing in intervals of 7 flashes and then pauses. When I select the "Start" button it flashes red 3 times and then nothing. The "Drain/Cancel"...

My ceiling fan remote will not work, hampton bay Model #UC7083T? [ 11 Answers ]

The Red Light Does Turn On But It Won't Work. I Threw Away The Instructions Please Help!!

Frigidaire electric stove model cfef357cs2 elements in oven will not work [ 2 Answers ]

Fridigidaire stove digital panel elements in oven will not come on the elements themselves are fine

View more questions Search