Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AznxDragonx2 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Nov 26, 2005, 12:32 AM
    CD drive
    Help me my cd drive don't work. It open and closes but it doesn't read anything and it doesn't show in the my computer icon. I have windows xp and my cd drive can burn cd and dvds
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 26, 2005, 04:48 AM
    Does it show up in Device manager ?
    (right click 'my computer' > properties > hardware tab > device manager is the top button. Go down the list until you find dvd/cd drives, it maybe disabled.)

Have you opened the case and is it connected properly ?
    Have you tried a reboot ?
    This should give you a few things to have a look at.

Nov 26, 2005, 09:31 AM
    I did all that still don't work

Nov 26, 2005, 09:40 AM
    ScreenShots

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...2/computer.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...nx2/device.jpg
    BossMan

Nov 26, 2005, 11:04 AM
    From your screen shots, there are a couple more things to try.

Looks like it is disabled in the BIOS/CMOS as device manager doesn't show anything.
    As I don't know what system you are running I can't tell you how to enter the BIOS/CMOS.
    If you access it then you need to load "default settings" this should pick everything up for you again.

As a long shot, if the BIOS/CMOS doesn't work, are you using hardware profiles that have disabled the DVD/CD drive ?

WHat had you been doing before you noticed that this drive was working as this could also help us resolve your issue ?

Nov 26, 2005, 05:30 PM
    I done nothing and I know how to get to the bios and stuff I just hit delete on the main menu

Nov 26, 2005, 05:39 PM
    I was doing the usual play cs and war3. I enter the bios command and check everything. It even load optimal defualt. It still don't work

Nov 27, 2005, 09:55 AM
    I come to an conclusion I think my IDe cable is damaged. If you think its something else please post
    BossMan

Nov 27, 2005, 10:09 AM
    Well if you have tried everything else then all it can be is a hardware problem, either the drive or the cable.

Have you got a spare connection on your HDD IDE cable, if so then try plugging you CD onto that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

DVD RW drive [ 1 Answers ]

My system is P.4 2.4Mhz. With 1GB ram and running Win Xp Pro. I bought the BenQ DVD RW drive (model no. DW1620) about a month ago, at first, when I installed the drive, it just cannot work. Whenever I insert a disc into the drive, an error message " only part of a readprocessmemory or...

Modems on one drive not on other drive [ 3 Answers ]

Help I have a compaq 501OUS pent 3 win ME. I have a 2 gig hardrive I have no problem going on line, when I took my 2gig hardrive out and put a 40gig hardrive in my moden won't respond, I have reinstall the modem(US Robotics PCI Faxmodem includes V.92 and V.90 ITU standard technologies) physycly...

DVD Drive [ 6 Answers ]

Earlier I had a DVD-ROM drive ,I bought a Sony 52/24/52 Cd Writer and replaced the DVD with it making it the master drive now when I try to install the DVD as slave drive it gives me some error during boot about PCI which I think might have something to do with the audio cable from the DVD to the...

View more questions Search