Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelfie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Pregnant Cat info wanted
    I was recently given a Cat who has I believe just turned one(still a baby her self) and is pregnant.

I have also been told that she has only had one out of her three Vaccination shots.

I was hoping to find out some info on the lack of shots to her kittens. I am some distance from a Vet so I am unable to take her.

Also are there any signs on as to when she is getting closer to her due time, as I have no idea how far along she is. She is gaining wait rapidly, her nipples are more prominent and she is losing hair around them, she is a very cuddly cat, but she has seemed to want company all the time.

Also how soon after her kittens are born can she be de-sexed, as I don’t want her to have another litter, as I don’t have homes for this lot as yet and I can only keep two(so sadly I am worried about those I can't keep)
    :confused:
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 2, 2005, 07:55 PM
    Hello Shelfie,

Do you know what vaccination she had? I would definitely have her tested for FeLV if she hasn't been. Feline Leukemia is a deadly virus which they can pass on to their kittens. Cats who have this disease don't live very long without a lot of care and sometimes their kittens will die for no obvious reason within weeks of being born.

The gestation period of a cat is 60 to 63 days. If you don't know how far along she is, you can test to see if milk comes out of her nipples when squeezed. If it does, she is within a few days of having the babies.

Cat's can become pregnant two weeks after having babies. Most vets don't like to spay them while they are still nursing, so waiting until she weans at about 7 to 10 weeks is best. Give her time to dry up (about 1 or 2 weeks after weaning).

The best thing to do in the meantime is to keep her away from any un-neutered males until she can be fixed.

Don't have her vaccinated until after the kittens are born. Vaccinations can kill the unborn babies or cause other complications.

I hope all turns out well.

Regards,
    shelfie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2005, 04:51 AM
    Pregnant Cat info wanted
    Hello koriani,

Thank you :D , your information has been of help!

This new little family member will not be seeing the light or day(Outside) until her Kittens have been born, she has been vacsinated and FIXED. I don't won't to go through this stress ever again. I have been trying madly to find homes for the yet to be babies and I have two homes lined up, one might take more than one dependent on the litter size.

As for the shot she has had, it is a public holiday here so I have to ring the vet tomorrow to find out what cats have and how we can go.

There is no Milk, but when she is siting on my lap or lying on her side you can see small movments in the belly. I will keep checking.

Once again Thank you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clairifications wanted [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I readily admit that I'm an old guy and don't know much about landlord tenant law. There are some new experts here who have alluded to some real good stuff, and I want to learn about it. After all, this is a place where you divulge secrets – not keep them. I'm used to sending stuff...

Help wanted [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am in biology and we are working on balancing equations I have done a whole lot of the but I have a few that are giving me a whole lot of trouble I hope someone can help: KEY:I didn't know how to write the numbers on a lower line so if its so post to be on a lower line it has a ~ behind...

Bath for Cockapoo that has recently given birth [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I have a Cockapoo that has just gave birth and she had 5 puppies. Its been 4 or 5 days now. I wanted to know if its safe to take her a bath with soap. Because I was thinking if soap would get on her nipples the puppies would suck on them and that will cause a infection to them. So when can I...

View more questions Search