Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thilscher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
    Why are my 4 week old puppies dying.
    They were fat and sassy up until this week and all of a sudden they started acting like they couldn't breath and stopped eating.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Have you gone to a vet?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
    I agree with odinn. At this point I'd be shocked if you, as a breeder, haven't gone to a vet. A vet is your only option.

This could be a genetic defect, it could be an illness or disease, it could be a lack of nutrition, lack of basic care, and so many many other things.

If you're not a breeder, then please, don't let your dog breed again. Have her spayed. It's better for her, and for the already millions of dogs that are already on this earth looking for a home.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Just born. Four weeks old.

Dying.

Why are they not with the mother?

How could four week old pups be fat and sassy?

Answer some of these questions
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:32 PM
    Who says this is a breeder?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Who says this is a breeder?
    No one.
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Why were you sitting there asking why they can't breath and have stopped eating without seeking help immediately?
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:37 PM
    Alty stated 'if you, as a breeder'...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Then she said, "If you're not a breeder..."

My impression is that she was covering all the bases. "At this point I'd be shocked if you, as a breeder, haven't gone to a vet" meaning if you're a breeder, one would think you would head immediately to your vet.
    Pets Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Tickle, I was being politically correct. I didn't want to come out harsh accusing this OP of being a backyard breeder, which I'm sure she is. Still, I have to give the benefit of the doubt, don't I? Don't we all?

Even breeders make mistakes, but I have to say that I have yet to meet a legitimate breeder that would be sitting at her computer while her 4 week old puppies are dying. A breeder would have been at the vet right after the puppies were born.

There, now I've gone and been harsh. :(
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 2, 2012, 11:54 PM
    Breeder or not... with the mother or not... WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Neither are killing the pups. Save your 'criticisms' until the problem is addressed??

I suspect hookworms and the resultant anemia. Check the gums of the pup that feels the worst. If they are nearly white, they are all infected and anemic. If so DO NOT try to treat them at home with store bought wormer, but take them to the vet who hopefully be able to save them. A blood transfusion is usually the best start. The mother will also have worms, just not quite as severe though.

Fading Puppy Syndrome usually doesn't affect pups that are apparently doing fine.
    Pets Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paleophlatus View Post
    Breeder or not...with the mother or not... WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Neither are killing the pups. Save your 'criticisms' until the problem is addressed ???

I suspect hookworms and the resultant anemia. Check the gums of the pup that feels the worst. If they are nearly white, they are all infected and anemic. If so DO NOT try to treat them at home with store bought wormer, but take them to the vet who hopefully be able to save them. A blood transfusion is usually the best start. The mother will also have worms, just not quite as severe though.

Fading Puppy Syndrome usually doesn't affect pups that are apparently doing fine.
    Paleo, I didn't criticize until I was pushed to by another poster. I just want to point that out.

I stated from the beginning that this needs to be addressed by a vet. That's really the only help we can offer this OP.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
    That's true, but there seemed to follow a flurry of posts addressing nothing about the problem being experienced by the OP. The players in my squawk are not of concern to me, rather it is the general impression both the OP and other viewers receive in response to such an emotional problem as this one. Our emotions on the subject should not take priority, but certainly deserve exploration, but more appropriately after the OP has gotten something more directly related to the problem presented.

And that's my rant for the week.
    Pets Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paleophlatus View Post
    That's true, but there seemed to follow a flurry of posts addressing nothing about the problem being experienced by the OP. The players in my squawk are not of concern to me, rather it is the general impression both the OP and other viewers receive in response to such an emotional problem as this one. Our emotions on the subject should not take priority, but certainly deserve exploration, but more appropriately after the OP has gotten something more directly related to the problem presented.

And that's my rant for the week.
    I agree, and tried to go that route. I was sucked in to an alternate route, and I truly wish I hadn't allowed myself to go there.

Rant away. I have an entire thread of rants. Feel free to join in. It gets interesting. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are my puppies dying? [ 3 Answers ]

My alsatian had puppies with its son is this why its puppies are dying?

My bulldog puppies are dying... why [ 8 Answers ]

My bulldog has given birth to 11 puppies by c-section ,she was 5 days early,we got them home and one by one they keep dying ,I took they back to vets who said it was fading puppies ,we know only have 4 left,what can I do to stop this happening to the rest

My puppies keep dying after three days being born does any one know why? [ 4 Answers ]

My pomeranean dog has had 2 lits. Now and they both keep dying about three days after birth. She cleans and feeds them but for some reason at night time she gets really stressed and that's when they usually either dye or she eats them.

Why are my puppies dying [ 14 Answers ]

My pit had puppies three days ago and last night I checked on them and one was what looked to be dead so I took her and force fed her milk. After about two hrs she began to suck and try nursing. I took her back to mom to eat and she was dead this morning. I have three other puppies that are doing...

Why are my 3 day old puppies dying [ 5 Answers ]

My cocker spaniels had 10 puppies on Monday 2 was born dead and another 5 have died since I am now left with 3 and worried that they may also die mum seems OK she is eating well and she is cleaning and feeding the others she has had litters before and not lost any puppies but 12 months ago our dog...

View more questions Search