Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saraherbal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 08:40 PM
    Cat with FLUDT - struvite crystals
    My cat is currently in the vet suffering a blocked bladder due to struvite crystals. The vet has recommended the Hills s/d prescription diet. I am happy to give this if it will help dissolve the crystals, but am not happy about a completely dry diet for my cat. He seems to be prone to these crystals, as his usual diet was almost 100% wet, with at least 50% fresh raw meat. He has only ever had dry foods in very small amounts for snacks.
    Is the hills diet his only option, or is there a way to control the crystals with a fresh, wet diet?
    We adopted him a couple of years ago when he was about 3-4 years old. He was a very skinny, unhealthy stray, so no idea what his early life was like - could he be prone to stones because he had poor health when he was younger?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 09:22 AM

Hill's makes wet formulations, and S/D is one of them so there is no reason that you cannot use the wet as well.
    They will probably recommend your cat stay on a maintenance in order to prevent recurrence. Usually they will recommend C/D, which also comes in wet.

I'm not too knowledgeable about the diets themselves and I know a lot of people think they are OMG TERRIBLE DIETS, but in a case like this where you have had a blocked cat I would try to stick with what they recommend - we had a blocked cat at the clinic I work at, and he was sent home with C/D as maintenance... came back 2 months later re-blocked and we realised that he was taken off that food.

My cat is prone to struvites and I tried about 20 different diets to help with it and only a vet diet was able to curb them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Struvite Crystals PLEASE HELP! [ 15 Answers ]

I've read a few Q & A about struvite crystals and just about every informational website... but need some specific to my situation info. My male cat has always seemed to have litter box issues. About a month ago I thought he was severely constipated... took him to the vet. Turns out his baldder...

Geo crystals [ 1 Answers ]

Where are formed and why are some hollow and some not

Struvite Crystals [ 4 Answers ]

My Persian from time to time (she's 4 years old) has the urgency to urinate. Just a drop or so comes out. She is not bloked. Vet said she has a lot of Struvite crystals. She get a tablespoon of Slolid Gold tuna (cat formula) 1 can between 6 cats. She is also free eats a mixture of Praire chicken &...

Overweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 4 Answers ]

I have a cat who is about 7 years old, 25 pounds and keeps getting the crystals back in his urine. I have him on the WD right now, but the vet said we needed to take him in to have X-rays to make sure he doesn't have stones. He has been going through test after test during the past 6 months and...

Underweight kitty w/struvite crystals [ 1 Answers ]

My little golden persian (5 years old) not only has had a second about of struvite crystals in her urine, but also has very little muscle mass (weighs 5.1 lbs). I have two persians and the boy is fine and strong and healthy. I previously fed them Hill's c/d for 1-1/2 and she was okay for two years...

View more questions Search