Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashleycam Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2010, 06:15 AM
    Outdoor cat maybe in labor
    My cat is pregnant, but she was such a thin cat, it is hard to tell exactly if she is ready to give birth. Her brother was trying to mount her yesterday so I brough her inside. The kittens are not moving (however since she is an outside cat, I have never seen them move) She is purring a lot and kneeding her claws into anything she can. Her nipples are swollen, so I am thinking labor soon. Is there any sure way to know. I feel bad keeping her locked up... but we hate to have her give birth outside and something happen.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 06:21 AM

Keep her in, provide a safe and comfortable birthing place and introduce her to it. She will do all the work, you can't interfere during the birthing process. Yes, from what you describe, she is ready.

Tick

Aug 16, 2010, 06:25 AM

I have put her in the laundry room (yesterday around 5ish) she seems happy there. Laid out a few towels and there is a doggie bed, that my dog never uses haha. Laid in there with her a while lastnight and she kept trying to lay on my head so I had to leave her.

Aug 16, 2010, 06:29 AM

Is it normal for the males to try and mount her? I have had no experience with this before. We had a female have a litter about 2 years back, but no males were around.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 06:36 AM

I don't know if that is normal or not. Could be just a very confused male! Sounds familiar.

Tick

Aug 16, 2010, 06:39 AM

Thought maybe since it was her brother he c ould smell or sense something. Either way with all 3 of my kiddos and my one experience at kittens being born I have learned a good lesson. It will happen at the most inconvient time haha. Poor little mopmma. She just wants petting and sleeping. This is a great site, thank you so much for giving a quick answer.

Aug 16, 2010, 09:06 AM

Update: She is still eating and drinking so I am thinking maybe she is just purring non-stop cause she is happy to be inside..?. Going to stay out of the room and leave her be for the day. I guess time will tell huh... I felt her tummy though, and though it is tight ( not like contraction tight, like she is just a lean cat tight) I can not feel the babies or anything. So anyway, will update later and let you all know.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2010, 09:13 AM

Since she is an outside cat I hope your planning on keeping her and her babies inside. I'd keep her inside from now until at least 8 weeks after the kittens are born. I don't know how to tell if a cat is going into labour, every time a cat had kittens it was when I wasn't home or she was just pushing them out (and usually it was VERY quick with her).

Sorry I wasn't much help.

We love pictures :)

Aug 16, 2010, 10:15 AM

Yes I do plan to keep her inside. I have 2 other cats outside and live in the middle of a hay field, so it is out of the question to leave her outside in 100+ heat to fend for herself!
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2010, 10:20 AM

That's good :)

Google "signs if cats going into heat" it will come up with plenty of things for you to watch out for. Give her a place to hide, my cat never had kittens in the open, she had them in the most weird places (in between the doors is one that comes to mind, nothing like opening up your door and having 5 kittens roll out onto your feet :p)

Aug 16, 2010, 11:48 AM

Haha,Ill bet. I have had 2 other sets of kittens ever. The first she had a breech kitten get stuck so we had to move her into the house(from under the porch) and accually pull the baby out. Umm yeah, I do not recommend this unless you have to, and then you may want to wear welding gloves cause she will not be gratefull to you ! The second one was about 2 years back and she had the kittens under the porch in a rain-storm. To make it a short story, I had to crawl under the porch in the rain and lighting and pull them out one at a time, then dry and warm them all. This time I will not let the cat out. FYI, not the same cat ever. We have a curse with cats. We take and get them fixed, they run away to our neighbors farm lol!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 16, 2010, 02:54 PM

Cats usually give birth in the middle of the night. There's really no absolute ways to tell when they're ready until labor actually starts. There are some things you can watch out for that may tell you if she'll give birth later that day, but not cats exhibit any one sign.

Many cats stop eating, or just eat tiny amounts.

Some cats go through a personality change. A friendly cat suddenly starts growling and scratching, while a loner cat will want cuddles.

Some cats get restless and start wandering around, looking for a suitable birthing place. What you think is suitable, is usually not where the cat will pick.

Some cats start talking a lot.

The only SURE way to tell if labor is started is if you can see her contracting. Even then, a cat can stop labor for up to a day if she doesn't feel completely safe to have her babies.

Aug 17, 2010, 05:35 AM

Well, follow-uping. She is still pregnant. She meowed at the moon lastnight ALL NIGHT. She wants out so badly, but she's stuck inside. Still lots of kneeding ( have all the marks on my body to prove it too), still lots of deep sleep and lots of purring. She is still eating small amounts too, so not thinking its happening today. SIGH, I am too old to keep laying down on the tile floor with her though lol. She meows until I come in, then she lays in front of the door so I can not leave haha.

Aug 17, 2010, 05:39 AM

She has never been loving until yesterday. She is like I said an outside cat, and will allow us to pet for a second then leave. Now I can not pet enough for her. Yes, I have been watching for contractions, but none yet that I have seen. Babies did move a lot over-night. I have her in the laundry room. I have 2 towels and a bed, plus an empty cardboard box bottom. It is not huge, but it is big enough that if she wants me in I can still give her plenty of private space while being there for suport. Od thing though, she will drink A lot, then dump out the water and lay in the wet spot where it spills... ALso likes to dip her ear and cheek into the bowl.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 07:08 AM

She could be hot, depending on where you live your house may be hotter than outside. When I had outside cats they came into the porch during winter, they'd just lay there and pant until they could get used to the temperature differences. How far along is she? (roughly)

Aug 17, 2010, 08:25 AM

Guessing... pure guessing too, Id say 8-9 weeks.
    Honestly the males trying to mount her and the non-stop kneeding and purring are what made me think labor. She maybe still in early stages I guess... or maybe not. Heck all I know is she refuses to let me leave her when I go in. She lays in front of the door or ontop of me lol. Still kneeds nonstop though, even kneeds the air.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

I spent two weeks thinking my edith was going to give birth that night. When she finally did go into labor, there were no early warning signs. She started wandering around aimlessly about an hour before the contractions started. Other than that, none of her behavior changed the day of.
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 10:43 AM

Cats are usually pregnant for about nine weeks. So she is around there.. Try ripping up some newspaper (Shredding it so it is in long strips) and placing it in the bed, she can then make a better nest, my aunty did this and the next day she woke up to kittens. If she seems distressed (Since she is so close yet no kittens) take her to a vet and see what's up, she may not show signs of distress but just watch to make sure. If you can feel the kittens (Which you said they weren't moving I will assume you can) feel how large they are, if they are about the size of the other kittens you have dealt with is a sign there ready to come out. Cat's are weird when having kittens, somedays they act like it times, and then the next day they act like there not even pregnant.

Aug 17, 2010, 10:45 AM

Hheath, yes that is what I am kind of in fear of I guess. I did finally let her out of the laundry-room ( just closed all the other doors in the house) She is walking around meowing wanting lovings. I am now kind-of wondering if maybe we are going to just hve to keep her in for however long. Not knowing how far she along she is makes it sooo hard. No cleaning herself or any of that so maybe I was wrong. I will keep you all updated.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 17, 2010, 11:54 AM

Keep her inside, and try to encourage her to relax in a comfortable space, for example you could create little areas with blankets and her favorite toy and water a few places around the house. Cats, when pregnant will try to find a place alone maybe under a bed or somewhere, to have their kittens so you could set it up there. Also, for safety reasons, I would recommend letting the kittens grow up as indoor cats, but that is your decision, and that's just my opinion. Also once the kittens are born, you should definitely take them to the vet so they can get their shots, and regular check ups, etc. Q: My Cat Is Pregnant Should I Take Her To The Vet? - Pet Care Experts Answer!
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my cat in labor? [ 23 Answers ]

My cat chrissy is pregnant and she has been taking a long time the kittens are moving and she keeps following me around this morning she was bleeding from the behind and I don't know what's wrong... I think she might be in labour! We assumed she got pregnant in mid may!

Is my Cat in Labor [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is pregnant, she is shivering, and is lactating when I squeeze her nipples((last two days this began)). She won't eat, and hasn't She wants to be constantly around me or my other cats, And paces back and fourth to everyone. She is not nesting, or at least I haven't seen her nesting at all....

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

Is my cat in labor? [ 1 Answers ]

:ee My cat is due any day to have her babies. She has been doing a lot of sleeping and eating, but she started vomiting today, she has done it about 3 times. Is this the beginning of labor?

View more questions Search