Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orowgon Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Is my cat in labor?
    My cat chrissy is pregnant and she has been taking a long time the kittens are moving and she keeps following me around this morning she was bleeding from the behind and I don't know what's wrong... I think she might be in labour! We assumed she got pregnant in mid may!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 23, 2010, 07:13 PM

Moved to it's own thread.

Cats are pregnant for around 9 weeks.

What you're describing COULD be the first signs of labor. Make sure she has somewhere safe, out of the way, secluded, and dark to give birth. Keep an eye on her. When active labor starts, you'll be able to tell. You'll see her entire middle contracting; it looks like ripples. She'll also make a cry you have never heard before; it's loud and sounds painful.

Most likely, the kittens will be born in the middle of the night.

Jul 24, 2010, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info but last night at 2:00 in the morning she started to bleed and left small blood spots all over the floor what could that mean? She wasn't making any sound at all and didn't look like she was in any pain. I don't know what is wrong.
    Experts

Jul 24, 2010, 03:52 PM

Cats can bleed for the day or two leading up to birthing. Most clean the blood away too quickly for it to drip.

If you think something may be wrong, then call a vet. They should be able to tell you over the phone if you should take her in.

Jul 24, 2010, 04:54 PM

I just got home and on there is a big blood spot on the couch I put her in the bath room so she wouldent bleed anymore on the furniture... this has been going on for almost 2 days I think she will have them tomorrow.
    Experts

Jul 24, 2010, 05:34 PM

She shouldn't be bleeding that much, or for that long. A few drops is normal. A big spot is not. You need to talk to a vet.

Jul 24, 2010, 05:46 PM

I don't know it was the size of the bottom of a cup it was big because I'm use to seeing her only have a few drops
    Experts

Jul 25, 2010, 11:41 AM

You need to talk to a vet.

Jul 25, 2010, 12:57 PM

Well I don't know she still looks pregnant but she hasn't had them yet I hope they didn't all die inside of her is that possible?
    Experts

Jul 25, 2010, 01:13 PM

Yes, it is possible. That's why you need to talk to a vet. If she's bleeding that much, and for this long, then you are risking losing her AND any babies.

Jul 25, 2010, 06:28 PM

Well she stopped bleeding today
    Experts

Jul 25, 2010, 06:41 PM

You should still take her to a vet. If she wasn't as far along as you thought, then she may have miscarried. It's also possible that she's still carrying dead kittens. In either case, the vet needs to check her over. If there aren't any living kittens waiting to be born, she can be spayed at the same time.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:05 PM

Vet. That's the only option. There is no other.

We can't help over the internet, we can't see the cat, we can't diagnose her, even if we were vets, which we aren't, we couldn't do this.

The vet needs to see her in order to determine what's going on. If you don't go to the vet you may very well lose the cat and her kittens.

Please, go to the vet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 08:06 PM

Your cat deserves proper medical treatment. She could be suffering, and she could die. This will be on your hands. She is your pet, in-trusted in you to care for her. Now she is bleeding. Would you not seek medical attention if you were bleeding from an unknown cause?

Jul 25, 2010, 11:04 PM

I can feel the kittens moving in her stomach and she seems normal I'm just wondering when she will have them!
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 11:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orowgon View Post
    i can feel the kittens moving in her stomache and she seems normal im just wondering when she will have them!
    It's the amount of blood that's the worry.

This isn't normal. She needs a vet.

Jul 25, 2010, 11:39 PM

Well she stopped bleeding and we haven't found a dead kitten anywear! Will she have the kitten if it died inside of her??
    Pets Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 11:52 PM

Orowgon, I don't think you understand.

We've given all the advice we can without seeing your cat. We can't tell you what's going on. If there is a dead kitten it could still pass if she labors to birth the others. The problem is that she was bleeding, and more than normal. This isn't the norm.

The bleeding may have stopped, but she still hasn't birthed the kittens and bleeding like that doesn't happen for no reason.

The vet is your only option. Not the internet, the vet.

You need to get off the computer and take your cat to a professional, someone that can see her, do tests and determine what's going on.

You're risking your cats life and that of her kittens if you don't go to the vet.

That's the only advice we can offer.
    Experts

Jul 26, 2010, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orowgon View Post
    well she stoped bleeding and we havent found a dead kitten anywear! will she have the kitten if it died inside of her???
    The body will not always try to pass a dead kitten. Even if only one died, her body may not try to birth the dead one after birthing the live kittens. If that happens, then the kitten starts to decompose inside her body. She goes septic, the infection goes directly into her blood from the womb, gets passed onto all the living kittens through her milk, and they ALL die.

Do you see why there's a problem? Bleeding like that is NOT normal. The fact that she bled that long, and that heavily, says there's probably a serious problem.

She may have miscarried, in which case a vet needs to check her to make sure there aren't left over bits of aborted kittens inside her that will rot and cause infection and death.

If a kitten died too late into development to be aborted or absorbed into her body, then she's carrying a dead kitten that may or may NOT be recognized as a kitten when she goes into labor. If it's not, then it will stay in her body, rot, cause infection, and kill her and all her living babies.

It's also possible that she fell or jumped wrong and caused damage. If she over-stretched or over-exerted herself, then it's possible she detached one of the placentas, which would cause bleeding. If that happened, then, not only did that kitten die, but she is now carrying a dead kitten and has potential internal damage.

Are you seeing how all these possibilities come back around to her getting sick and dying? I KNOW I'm being harsh, but you just aren't listening when we tell you that you need to take her to a vet.

Jul 27, 2010, 06:08 PM

She just fineshed having one and it was breech and dead! She is going to have another I'm going to wait see if that one is dead I hope not :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat In Labor [ 5 Answers ]

How long does it last from the time the cat starts contractions to the time they give birth to the first kitten?

Before labor (cat) [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:I need help... I have asked 3 vets and all give me different answers. Ive been reading but yet not the answer I'm looking for. If anyone can help on why my cat has discharge for the last today's and stopped eating yet is still drinking a little. She's not moving much but not making any...

Cat Labor [ 1 Answers ]

Hey my name is sabrina and I was wondering how long until my cat is in labor for?:confused:

Is my cat in labor? [ 2 Answers ]

She has a clear water like substense coming from her vagina,she hasn't aten in 8-10 hours and has only drank 1 sip. She really hasn't used the litterbox either! Is she going into labor?:confused:

Is my cat in labor? [ 1 Answers ]

:ee My cat is due any day to have her babies. She has been doing a lot of sleeping and eating, but she started vomiting today, she has done it about 3 times. Is this the beginning of labor?

View more questions Search