Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suequantock Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Cat! #$Cat
    I have a 7 yr old male, who needs his ears cleaned. Not too hard. When I pick him up, he claws, hisses growls, fights as hard as he can. We can't get a grip on him long enuf to do the ears. Got cleaner from my vet, he looks to have mites... help! He sleeps on my pillow, holds my hand... very loving... on his terms.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Oct 26, 2006, 01:37 AM
    Hi Sue,
    You could probably try wrapping him up in a large bath towel or something to keep from being scratched. Just be careful to hold his head steady when you clean his ears, as he will probably attempt to shake his head and bite in this case.
    Good luck. :)
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Oct 26, 2006, 02:03 AM
    Hello Sue,

You hit the nail on the head. A cat is certainly not like a dog. They don't have to rely on we mere humans anything like a dog. They certainly love us on their terms.

With regard to cleaning your pets ears. Of course he is going to object and put up a fight. You know its being done for his own good but unfortunately he doesn't

I assume it is drops which need to be place in his ears. My advice is to get the drops ready to administer, try to immobilize him and his claws by wrapping him firmly in a towel or something like it. Get someone to hold him tightly but firmly and then place the drops in his ears. You will probably also need to hold his head with your other hand to stop him moving it around.

It won't be easy but I am sure you will succeed if you persevere.

If you still find it difficult or impossible to do it my suggestion is to let the experts do it and take him back to your vet. I know it will cost but at least it will take the pressure off you.

Good luck. Having had to do this myself I don't envy you.
    ashleygabby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by suequantock
    I have a 7 yr old male, who needs his ears cleaned. Not too hard. When I pick him up, he claws, hisses growls, fights as hard as he can. We can't get a grip on him long enuf to do the ears. Got cleaner from my vet, he looks to have mites...help! He sleeps on my pillow, holds my hand....very loving....on his terms.
    If you animals ears need to be ccleaned, what I would do is take the cat and wrap it up in a blanket (with the head uncovered hold him real tight and have some clean his ears!
    pussycatman Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by suequantock
    I have a 7 yr old male, who needs his ears cleaned. Not too hard. When I pick him up, he claws, hisses growls, fights as hard as he can. We can't get a grip on him long enuf to do the ears. Got cleaner from my vet, he looks to have mites...help! He sleeps on my pillow, holds my hand....very loving....on his terms.
    HI I suggest feed him then when he is napping stroke him and gently fiddle about with his ears after a few days of doing it do the same thing but put the stuff on a bit of cotton wool
    And try not let him have a whiff of it and try to clean his ears then,Another way is try cleaning them while he is eating,One other way is wraphim up from neck down in a towel and try cleaning his ears, Of course holding him so he cannot move watch for the teeth though try from behind and as quick as possible. GOOD LUCK. CARL
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 1, 2006, 03:39 PM
    To make it easier on everyone in the longterm try placing a drop of Revolution in each ear monthly, and use the rest on his back. This helps take care of the ear mites. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Cat anyone? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I live on a farm and I have four outdoor female cats. I feed them well and they are all healthy, but one of them doesn't enjoy her life as an outdoor kitty. Her name is Jynx and she is an all black cat with beautiful yellow eyes. I know this isn't really a question that someone can answer,...

How to tell if a cat is old [ 1 Answers ]

I have been feeding a stray cat for about 6 months now I was looking at her teeth and her front and bottom teeth are missing. I also have a cat that is 10 years old and her teeth are missing also. Do they loose there teeth with age and do they turn white in the face like a dog does when they get...

Please help this cat! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have a cat named Rocky that has been acting really weird lately. I am unemployed right now and my girlfriend is a student, so going to the vet is a tough call. 3 weeks ago Rocky had one dilated pupil and wasn't eating and was shaky walking. Then 4 days later he was fine. Eating, eyes...

View more questions Search