Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cullene67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Pregnant Stray Cat
    Hi...

About a week ago, my kids and I discovered a stray cat at my ex's house. She HAS to be pregnant because of the way her belly looks. I grew up with cats and she's one of the friendliest I've ever seen! It seems when I call her, she comes from the garage, so I've made a "nest" of old blankets and sheets in there on the floor and kind of "boxed in" an area where she may be comfortable to give birth (I would take her into my home but my 10-year old is allergic, and my ex would FLIP if I brought her into his house, plus my child who is allergic spends part of the time there). I have no clue how far along she is, though she is big for being such a tiny kitty.

What do I do?? I'm scared that one morning I'll come back from work and she won't be here, but I'm also scared that she'll have the kittens here and I won't know what to do. Can I do anything more than make her a comfortable place to stay until the kittens come? I went and bought cat food and have provided that and plenty of clean water. I just feel so bad that she's in the garage... will that be okay... it's not cold yet. Should I just move her indoors at my house and make sure she doesn't have access to my son's room? My kids and I love her already and want what's best... I'm just not sure what that is. I was small when I had cats growing up; I'm not sure what to do! Any advice is very much appreciated!

Cullene
    Latrobe, PA
    JEAGG Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Sounds like your doing everything you can, for now.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Is this a bit dangerous?

Might this stray cat have some diseases/infection that it can pass on to your children? You say you let your children send time with it…

If you really aren't sure what to do (regarding the pregnancy), perhaps you can take it to a vet for some assistance?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 29, 2006, 07:24 PM
    I would attempt to take her to a shelter, preferably a "no kill" shelter but at least that way her kittens don't run the risk of becoming feral. Cats in the wild don't fare well from my observation. Or if there are people who deal with feral cats, call them. They are usually very compassonate people -- I adopted my two cats from an organization like that.
    cullene67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 04:33 AM
    I took the advice on taking her to the vet. She has an appointment this afternoon... if she comes back again. I haven't seen her since last night. Thanks to those who responded! I appreciate it!

Cullene

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stray cat- is she pregnant or did she have kittens already? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Four days ago I stumbed upon a small cat who appears to be pregnant. She is very sweet, skinny, and hungry. I fed her outside for about 3 days and just decided to bring her inside today. My concern is whether she has had kittens or is still pregnant. I couldn't find kittens anywhere, but...

I picked up a pregnant stray yesterday [ 2 Answers ]

I live in the desert and it was 127 yesterday and I seen a stray cat outside a truck stop. She is as big as a house. So I decided it's too hot to let her stay in this heat so I took her home. Well anyway she was acting very sweet and loving and later last night she started hissing at everyone that...

Stray cat under my house... [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday mum was washing the dishes and outside the window she saw a cat come up to the door and have a sniff around. She was confused because it look exactly like our male tabby (who is desexed) except it had a red collar on. Then it ran back under the house. Who knows how long its been there....

I think the stray dog is pregnant,how do I tell? [ 4 Answers ]

there has been a stray lab outside my house for the past 2 days, and we have tried feeding it but it won't eat, it only drinks a little water every now and then. i'm thinking that it is pregnant, but i can't tell. can someone help me?? also, i want to let it stay in our yard, but i already have...

Pregnant stray [ 7 Answers ]

We've had a pregnant stray hanging around for a little over a month now. We've been feeding her and provided a crate in the garage hoping she would opt to have the kittens in there. She's very friendly and loves all the attentions she's been getting. Today, we ddn't see her for most of the day...

View more questions Search