Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaelacallahan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2007, 09:06 AM
    ranch additions
    My home is a 1000 square foot ranch with a breezeway and attached approx. 24x24 ft 2 car garage. What I'm wondering is what the cost would be to put on an unfinished second story across the whole house. I know that the foundation for my garage is good for a 2 story structure.
    Also the cost of an unfinished second floor only over the house, not the breezeway and garage. Thank you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 16, 2007, 09:14 AM
    There are many things to consider. Is the foundation under the house strong enough too? Do you want the second floor roughed-in and then you finish it off, or do you want it move-in perfect with no work on your part? The quality and variety of materials will add to the cost, so know if you want only faux Pergo floors or high-end carpeting, for instance.

I suggest that you first figure out exactly what you want (number of rooms, size of each, finishing of the second floor, etc.), and then talk with a couple of general contractors in your area to get cost estimates and adjustments on what you want. Costs will vary depending if the house is next to a Kansas wheatfield or in the Chicago Loop.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Good answer Wonder Girl. I was going to give him the same answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add character to front of ranch house [ 2 Answers ]

My '70's vintage ranch house is plain in front. Flat-screen look with no architectural detail to add interest at the front door What can be done within reason to spice it up with an architectural feature. Roof is standard with good eave overhangs.

Cathedral ceilings in a ranch [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought my grandmothers 1960 ranch. I would like to install a cathedral ceiling in the living room area, is this possible for a Do it yourselfer? It has bolted 2x6 W truss roof I am looking to do approx 15 foot wide section. Would a wall out of 2x4's for the sheet rock at the center beam be...

Adding A Second Floor To A Large Ranch [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I hope your day is going well and thank you in advance for helping me. My brother passed away and my mother really needs me around so we came up with an idea of adding a second floor to the family home. It's an oversized ranch. It's fairly large to begin with but I can't exactly start...

View more questions Search