Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kotewaa Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Apr 17, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Back problems for my Bichon
    My 5 yr. old Bichon, within the last few days, has stopped in mid-walk, hunches her back like a cat and shakes like there is a muscle spasm. Even when called, it is like she can't move. Is there a back problem?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 04:41 PM

What did your vet say?

Apr 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
    We have not taken her in being that it is Sunday. I just do not know if we should call him tonight or wait until morning.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kotewaa View Post
    We have not taken her in being that it is Sunday. I just do not know if we should call him tonight or wait until morning.
    If this were happening to my mother, I would call the doctor.

Apr 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
    I am not talking about my mother... A Bichon is a dog.
    Thanks for the thought.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 17, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kotewaa View Post
    I am not talking about my mother....A Bichon is a dog.
    Thanks for the thought.
    Oh, a dog. Just a dog. I see. If it were one of my five cats, I would call the vet. (You don't get a feeling that this problem could be serious?)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 05:21 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about but apparently it's serious - call the Vet tonight.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2011, 09:39 PM

There are quite a few things it could be. Muscle spasms certainly is one of them, disc issues is another, may even be related to the legs and the dog is trying to stretch... there is quite a long list.

If it has been happening for a few days I would say you are safe to wait until the next day if your vet is unavailable tonight. Just keep the dog confined to a crate and limit movement as much as possible until you can see someone.
    Carry the dog out the toilet every few hours and feed inside the crate.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 18, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Can you offer a little more info? For instance: Is she a jumper on and off things? Does she chase and fetch things you may throw for her? How is her general activity, like up or down stairs, or onto furniture (footstool)? Is she more 'deliberate' in how and where she moves? Does she have problems with her eliminations (more deliberate, or cautious in positioning). Eating, does she show any reluctance or hesitation to lower her head to eat or drink?

Stopping mid stride, and arching her back, are not typical signs seen with a back problem. There can be IV disk problems at both ends of the spinal canal as well, with different signs for each. In case it may be a disk problem, please DO NOT try to help with any 'pain killers' like aspirin. Pain, to any degree, is really a protective response of the body to refrain from doing whatever it is that hurts.
    jmupright Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
    I am going through this with my 6 year old Bichon now. The vetssssss are telling me it is a disk problem. They put her on presidone and tramadol, it seems to be helping. They are also telling me surgery is inevetable. She is such a Happy baby (no pun intended) as her name is also Happy. We are just taking it day by day and following the doctors orders to see how she progresses. I hope everything turned out well with your Bichon.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
    If response to meds is the only rational your vets are using, that's a big thin, to my way of thinking. Suppose you agree to surgery? Just where on the spine would they operate? An X-ray could possibly indicate the right place, but equally possibly not!
    If meds control the problem (for a while), you likely have a mild disk protrusion, which doesn't usually call for surgery, but at least a change of 'habits' to minimize a recurrence of problem, often more severely, would seem in order.
    Finally, my experience in treating 'back problems' with only symptomatic treatment is... 'don't'. Reducing pain without curtailing activities that led to the problem initially makes the dog feel 'normal' again, and it returns to normal activity. Too often, some of these dogs reappear at the clinic with more severe locomotion problems, even paralysis, due to suffering a complete rupture of the disk and possible damage to the spinal cord itself.
    Jumping off things, usually furniture, is the most common cause of disk (back) problems. Worsening of signs when on treatment is cause for reevaluation of the problem. Sudden paralysis is suggestive for immediate surgical intervention to hopefully prevent severe cord damage.

This can't be considered diagnostic info. At best, it is a suggestion and rationale for another vet opinion, maybe with a veterinary school clinic (hopefully close to you). Someone needs to give you a treatment plan and explanation of the problem as it actually is with your pet. Meds alone, without any further care and prevention suggestions is simply an inadequate approach to this potential problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bichon [ 2 Answers ]

Our almost 3 year old bichon is very lethargic and has not eaten in 24 hrs hours -i just used a dropper to get some warm water down - seems a little better now. She's about 13 pounds, any small dog info?

I just purchased a bichon and she will not eat [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy is 8 weeks and I just purchased her. I took her home with me and the breeder gave me the same food she has been eating. Once we got home she seems to just want to lay in my arms. I tried to feed her and give her water but she does not seem to want them. I am starting to worry about her....

Bichon male marking [ 8 Answers ]

We rescued a male (approximately 2 years old) bichon in December. He was doing great and pooping and peeing outside without a problem. All of the sudden 2 weeks ago, he is marking the couch, chair and carpet in our great room. I use enzyme cleaner, have cleaned the carpets and couch, sprayed no...

Stud bichon how much to charge [ 5 Answers ]

I've been asked to mate my bichon with a breeder my boy is 2 he is not kennel club Registered so he has no papers I no this would affect how much he could ell the pups for how much should I ask for as I think he's trying to lead me up the garden path 50 pounds he said he would pay:confused:

Bichon marking in the house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 3 year old Bichon and can't stop him from marking in the house. We hade him nutered 4 months ago as a last resort. It worked for a few weeks but he is back to marking almost every day or so. It's not urination he goes out doors all the time then marks in the house when no one is...

View more questions Search