Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #1

    Aug 15, 2016, 12:16 PM
    Feral cats when I move
    My landlord thinks he will sell this house in the near future although he doesn't
    Know when. I have an apt... a separate entrance which is on the side of the
    House in a garden. I feed about 5 feral cats. The older ones I had fixed by
    Someone who did TNR. Anyway, one of my cats has been coming every day
    For nine years.

    If I have to move I know the neighbors will not feed them. My apt is in
    Front of a bus stop which gets pretty busy so I can't hire anyone to feed
    Them on the sidewalk. I'm really upset about just leaving them without a
    Food source. I have a friend who lives about 15 miles away who had this
    Same situation and she had to put hers down. I not only can't catch them,
    They will only come within three feet of me, but I don't have the heart to
    Do this. Any other sugestions?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Aug 15, 2016, 12:28 PM
    They are Feral... they can fend for themselves. They did it before you, they will do it after you.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #3

    Aug 15, 2016, 12:58 PM
    There should be an animal shelter in your area (the TNR people?) Ask them for help to trap the cats humanely. The cats can be put in the shelter and/or fostered.
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #4

    Aug 15, 2016, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    There should be an animal shelter in your area (the TNR people?) Ask them for help to trap the cats humanely. The cats can be put in the shelter and/or fostered.
    There is animal control... they are overrun with strays, they will only put them
    Down. No one can adopt ferals
    Thank you for taking the time to write
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #5

    Aug 15, 2016, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    There is animal control... they are overrun with strays, they will only put them
    Down. No one can adopt ferals
    Thank you for taking the time to write
    Is there a neighbor who will agree to feed them?

    Call your local public library reference desk and ask your question about the feral colony.
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #6

    Aug 15, 2016, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is there a neighbor who will agree to feed them?
    Def not... most neighbors come from the Caribbean and believe that cats
    Belong in the streets... but they will not feed them... don't get me wrong, I
    Like my neighbors very much.. but they have a thing about cats.. besides,
    It's a long term comittment (I'd be willing to pay for the food if it were
    Possible) but it won't happen. Sad.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #7

    Aug 15, 2016, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    Def not... most neighbors come from the Caribbean and believe that cats
    Belong in the streets... but they will not feed them... don't get me wrong, I
    Like my neighbors very much.. but they have a thing about cats.. besides,
    It's a long term comittment (I'd be willing to pay for the food if it were
    Possible) but it won't happen. Sad.
    As I added in my earlier post, call your library.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,278, Reputation: 7690
    Expert
     
    #8

    Aug 15, 2016, 07:14 PM
    Once you start feeding them, they become dependent on that food, esp after years and may be unable to fend for theirselfs at this point, esp an older cat.

    I would ask, since you felt an obligation to make them dependent, you have some duty to take them with you and care for them.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #9

    Aug 15, 2016, 07:27 PM
    If you are in the US, there is a no-kill shelter somewhere in your area. How did you find out about TNR? Alley Cat Allies will help you. Call them. Alley Cat Allies

    7920 Norfolk Avenue
    Suite 600
    Bethesda, MD 20814-2525
    Phone: (240)-482-1980
    Fax: 240-482-1990
    Office Hours: 9 a.m. 6 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
    If you are directed to our voicemail, please leave a message and include your name, email address, and daytime phone number
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #10

    Aug 17, 2016, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Once you start feeding them, they become dependent on that food, esp after years and may be unable to fend for theirselfs at this point, esp an older cat.

    I would ask, since you felt an obligation to make them dependent, you have some duty to take them with you and care for them.
    I've been feeding cats for twenty years... when you're dealing with ferals you
    Cannot take them with you.. you can't even touch them and if you trap them
    And take them to an apt building where I will prob end up, they will all get
    Killed trying to get back to "their territory".. and I'll be over twenty miles
    Away.. and if you know anything about New York, they will never survive the
    Trip
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #11

    Aug 17, 2016, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    I've been feeding cats for twenty years... when you're dealing with ferals you
    Cannot take them with you..
    I've been feeding, socializing, and rescuing ferals and strays for twice that time. Please call Allied Cats Allies. Yes, they are headquartered in another city but have volunteers all over the US including in your area. The cats will be humanely trapped and taken to a no-kill shelter where they will be cared for and loved.
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #12

    Aug 17, 2016, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've been feeding, socializing, and rescuing ferals and strays for twice that time. Please call Allied Cats Allies. Yes, they are headquartered in another city but have volunteers all over the US including in your area. The cats will be humanely trapped and taken to a no-kill shelter where they will be cared for and loved.
    It's a good suggestion. I went to their site but there wasn't a place to write
    Out my questions specifically but I wrote anyway.
    Most no-kill shelters are filled to capacity. Also, I went to one and saw that
    Their cages were small, packed one on top of the other. Not a great life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've been feeding, socializing, and rescuing ferals and strays for twice that time. Please call Allied Cats Allies. Yes, they are headquartered in another city but have volunteers all over the US including in your area. The cats will be humanely trapped and taken to a no-kill shelter where they will be cared for and loved.
    I just got a reply from Alley Cats...
    I will read through it all... this page has contacts for photographing cats... but Im
    Sure there' s more. Thank you for your suggestion.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #13

    Aug 17, 2016, 05:14 PM
    The no-kill shelter in my town has 60+ cats, all free range within the shelter, plus there are foster homes for cats that need frequent medical care or socializing.

    Let me know how it's going. Please post regularly. You're in what part of NY? The Bronx?
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #14

    Aug 21, 2016, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The no-kill shelter in my town has 60+ cats, all free range within the shelter, plus there are foster homes for cats that need frequent medical care or socializing.

    Let me know how it's going. Please post regularly. You're in what part of NY? The Bronx?
    No Brooklyn... and Brooklyn is overrun with ferals.
    I once had 13 and someone TNR'd all of them. One the red cat, one of the five
    I have now is from that group... a number of years ago.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #15

    Aug 21, 2016, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    No Brooklyn... and Brooklyn is overrun with ferals.
    I once had 13 and someone TNR'd all of them. One the red cat, one of the five
    I have now is from that group... a number of years ago.
    Any luck with Alley Cat Allies? Or a librarian?
    jammy23's Avatar
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0
    Senior Member
     
    #16

    Aug 25, 2016, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    As I added in my earlier post, call your library.
    You must live in the country... but I'm afraid in NY one ends up in an
    apt. You can't take outdoor ferals into an apt. and no landlord would let you
    Anyway. You're saying anyone who feeds ferals is obligated for the rest of
    Their lives... so it seems.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,770, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #17

    Aug 25, 2016, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    You must live in the country... but I'm afraid in NY one ends up in an
    apt. You can't take outdoor ferals into an apt. and no landlord would let you
    Anyway. You're saying anyone who feeds ferals is obligated for the rest of
    Their lives... so it seems.
    I live in Chicago. Did you call Alley Cat Allies or your library reference desk?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Feral cat? [ 2 Answers ]

We seemed t have 'acquired' a feral cat and is now living under a newly built shed. It used to eat the food that was left out, now, it grabs it and takes it back underneath, we're not sure if it is male or female as I don't know anything about cats. I do know it lifts it's tail and sprays a lot....

Feral Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I had submitted this question earlier today but had problems with the site. I have been feeding 2 feral sibling cats. Both are about a year old-one grey & the other is a tortishell. The grey has now had 2 litters this year-last one just delivered on 7/29 (1st one about 5/1). She was attacked...

What to do with my cats while I move [ 3 Answers ]

I am moving and want to prevent as much stress as I can for my cats. They hate people, but the question I am struggling with is will they be less stressed in their regular home environment with our company while people pack our house, or less stressed being alone in a new, unfamiliar place? We are...

Feral cat [ 1 Answers ]

Cat you socialize a feral cat? To what extent can be social him. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks. Sharon Shil01@aol.com


View more questions Search