Originally Posted by tigermom46
1. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
2. Drain cooling system, Do not waste reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.
3. Remove the plastic air cleaner intake tube.
4. Remove two-piece fan shroud. Remove lower half first.
5. Remove upper radiator hose at radiator.
6. The thermal viscous fan drive is attached (threaded) to the water pump hub shaft. Remove the fan/fan drive assembly from water pump by turning the mounting nut counterclockwise (as viewed from front). Threads on the fan drive are RIGHT HAND.
7. If water pump is being replaced, do not unbolt fan blade assembly from the thermal viscous fan drive.
8. After removing fan blade/fan drive assembly, do not
place the thermal viscous fan drive in the horizontal position. If stored horizontally, the silicone fluid in the viscous drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate the bearing lubricant.
9. Do not remove the water pump pulley bolts at this time.
11. Remove accessory drive belt as follows: The drive belt is equipped with a spring loaded automatic belt tensioner. Relax the tension from the belt by rotating the tensioner clockwise (as viewed from front). When all belt tension has been relaxed, remove accessory drive belt.
12. Remove the four water pump pulley-to-water pump hub bolts and remove pulley from engine.
13. Remove the lower radiator hose at water pump.
14. Loosen heater hose coolant return tube mounting bolt and remove tube from water pump. Discard the old tube O-ring.
15. Remove the seven water pump mounting bolts.
16. Loosen the clamp at the water pump end of bypass hose. Slip the bypass hose from the water pump while removing pump from engine. Do not remove the clamp from the bypass hose.
17. Discard old gasket. CAUTION: Do not pry the water pump at timing chain case/cover. The machined surfaces may be damaged resulting in leaks. Clean the mating surfaces thoroughly.
Installation is pretty much the same in reverse.
Tighten bolts in a cries-cross pattern to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
Make certain the belt is routed correctly: