which is safer
    L1-110
    L2-110
    with center tap to ground

or
    L1-220
    L2 gounded

thanks
    Both can kill. Neither is "safer". Prudent application of using safety equipment and procedures are the only methods I know of as respect for electricity. If you talk about grounding methods for safety of personnel and equipment, then learning about theory and code application is necessary. I hope this helps. Nm
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Would be a little tough to get 220 by putting 1 of the phases to ground.
    No reason to use Ground instead of Neutral. No reason to do either.
    Have a certain application?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Neither is safer, both are equal in performance and safety. The 120/240 volt system with center tap grounded to create a neutral, is popular in most western hempishere countries, while the 230 volt system with one leg grounded is popular in many other countries. So depends on the utility system adopted in the country the system will be installed.

Not grounding either the 120/240 volt 3 wire system, or the 230 volt system is an usafe practice. Grounding neutral help stabilaize the voltage, brings one conductor of the circuit to earth potential, and helps faclilitate the operation of overcurrent devices.

So, how are we doing on your EE course?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Residential boiler system [ 2 Answers ]

I have a residential boiler system in the house I bought. When I turned on the water supply to the boiler from the water system in the house, the T&P relief valve blew. I am assuming that this is because the water pressure in my household system (approx 70 psi) is too high for the boiler. The T&P...

Residential cleaning service [ 3 Answers ]

My name is Mari. I recently started a cleaning company. I have already cleaned serveral homes but I am having a hard time as to what I am suppose to charge. I do not have much experience in this field but thought it would be a good flexible job while I am in school. I have tried to get advice...

150 Amp residential service [ 1 Answers ]

What size wire is needed for a 150 amp residential service?

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

View more questions Search