Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philsan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Engine oil in cooling system
    I have a 2002 dodge caravan with a 3.3 L engine. Am getting a little oil in the cooling system, seems more when the outside temp. is colder. Have been told it is probably the head gasket. My past experiences in head gasket failure is coolant in the oil. There is no engine oil cooler in the radiator. I do have to clean the slimy sludge out of the radiator on a regular basis. Trans. Oil level has not changed, but have to add engine oil every 2500 miles or so. Any thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 07:08 AM
    You may not have water in your oil but I think you head gasket is gone. There are many ports in the head that can leak not all would mix water with the oil.
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Check you trans cooler again. Here's the thing. Only one source has pressure to overcome the other. Coolant is under more pressure than crankcase oil but not more than trans line pressure. It is probably you trans fluid and just hasn't entered trans yet. Adding one quart every 3000 miles is considered normal. If you take lines off trans cooler and pressure test cooling system and it doesn't come from cooler lines, than it is definitely a head gasket problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right cooling system for home? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1700 sq ft home. It is heated with radiators (water not steam). The current boiler is older (home is about 70 years old), but is in pretty good condition. I would like to add air conditioning for the whole house. What is the best and mose economical system for my home?

Engine oil specs [ 1 Answers ]

What will happen if you put 3 quarts of oil in a 1&3/4 capacity engine? I am having a trouble with the engine cranking with the spark plugs installed. When you take the spark plugs out, oil pumps out when cranking engine.

Heating & cooling system [ 3 Answers ]

I have a two zone heating/cooling system, with one generator unit. With this type of system, there are two trunk lines leading off the furnace. The dampers alternate when each thermostat indicates which one should turn on. One of the trunk lines has started making a loud whistle, indicating...

Engine Oil [ 3 Answers ]

All right, problems with this car are coming up constantly. I just found out my Civic 91 DX has been driving on mineral based 15W40 oil for at least 6 years now. My service manual suggests a full synthetic 5W30, and I read somewhere that you should do some kind of "flushing" of the whole engine...

View more questions Search