Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leigh3124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2007, 02:27 PM
    98 Honda Civic LX - Stalls, and won't start
    I have a 4 door, american, 98 honda civic lx. It has a 1.6L engine with 157,000 miles and an automatic transmission. I have had the car about a year and a half and have been having serious problems for about the last year.

My car shuts off while I am driving, while I am at stop lights idling, and right after I start it. Sometimes it won't start until 2 or 3 tries. Once it dies or when it won't start on the initial try, I have to let it sit a few minutes, and only get it started by reving up the engine and pressing the gas pedal. It usually takes several tries. I do not have many problems in the early morning or late at night. Most of the problems seem to be in the afternoon when it is warm. Also, I didn't have many problems over the winter, but now that is warming up it is getting a lot worse. My car typically shuts off 3-6 times on my way home from work everyday.

The car spent a week in October in a shop, and they did not figure out what the problem was. They deducted that it was either electrical or fuel related.

This week I replaced the distributor to see if that would fix things, since hondas are notorious for having bad distributors. It didn't help. Yesterday, I replaced the ECM, and that did not fix the problem either. Now I am thinking it is fuel related, but I am not sure if I have exhausted all the electrical options yet. Any ideas? Anything you could tell me, would be greatly appreciated.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Sounds like a classic PGM-FI Main Relay problem. Replace the main relay and it's likely your problem will go away:

Zip Code Entry at PartsAmerica.com

Buy the Standard Motor Products (RY422) relay--it's likely the Honda OEM part at a fraction of the price. This is an easy job the do-it-yourselfer can perform.

With a new ECM, distributor, and main relay, your Civic should be in great shape electrically for the next 10 years. Make sure you change the ATF every 30,000 miles, preferably with synthetic ATF.

Here are some other recommended maintenance items, now that you have positioned your Civic to get 300,000+ miles:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 honda civic won't start PLEASE HELP [ 22 Answers ]

I live in LA and I have never had a problem. It has been raining non stop down pour for 17 days. Last night I went out and my car wouldn't start. It turns over but no fire. Battery seems fine. AAA came and got it started by adding fuel shaking it, I don't know what... He told me to keep it running,...

91 honda civic won't start [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I own a 91 honda civic dx. It was my back up car and has been sitting for a year or so. I have been trying to get it started and it will run as long as its being sprayed with starting fluid. It just burns the starting fluid and once you stop spraying starting fluid it dies. I pulled the fuel...

84 Honda Civic won't Start? [ 3 Answers ]

I think the Battery terminals touched while I was fitting a new battery in & shorted out a fuse, but I can't find which 1 it blew, Can someone help me out here??

92 honda civic won't start [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking for a place I could find some answers to my problem... and I found this forum.. anyway.. My 92 honda civic has an interesting problem. At one point it would barely start.. thinking it was sparkplugs,wires,rotor.. I replaced them all.. seemed to work greatly.. lacking money at...

View more questions Search