Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Z71-man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Fuel gauge on 96 chevy Z71 doesn't work
    I just bought a 96 Chevy Z71 truck. The fuel gauge wasn't working so I had a new fuel pump and sending unit put in but it still doesn't work. If it is the gauge, can it be fixed without sending the whole cluster in for repair? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
    . Use a test light or multimeter to check all under-dash and under-hood fuses:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. With the ignition switch OFF, disconnect the connector going to the fuel gauge sending unit. Measure resistance between terminals by moving the float to empty, half full, and full.

. If everything above checks out, focus on connections/power going to the fuel gauge and the fuel gauge itself.

Hope this helps somewhat.
    Z71-man Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Thanks for responding. Did you mean the connections on top of the fuel tank from the sending unit? Am I looking for continuity or certain ohms of resistance? Just to add to the original problem description, when I first drove the truck and looked at the gauge it showed between 1/4 and 1/2. The next day it showed empty, so I put in some gas and it didn't move. I checked with the guy I bought it from and he said he was told it needed a sending unit. As I said, I had a new pump/sending unit put in and it showed about 1/4. I wasn't sure how much gas was actually there so I drove it a couple of days and it still showed 1/4. I then filled it up and it didn't move the hand. After sitting overnight, the gauge read 1/2. Assuming the unit is good, it's looking like a wiring problem or faulty gauge. If it is the gauge, can it be repaired without sending off the entire cluster?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Yes. You'll be taking ohm measurements at empty, half-full, and full. I really suspect you have a bad gauge. I'm not familiar enough with your truck to know if you can replace just a bad gauge. On some Chevy products I've seen, you had to replace the whole cluster of gauges. You couldn't just replace an isolated bad gauge.
    ALANB2310 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71-man
    I just bought a 96 Chevy Z71 truck. The fuel gauge wasn't working so I had a new fuel pump and sending unit put in but it still doesn't work. If it is the gauge, can it be fixed without sending the whole cluster in for repair? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Remove the cluster and clear plastic cover to see if the needle is stuck.. just move it to half with your hand and put back together
    korn6958 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Check to see if the leveling sensor is pulled in or the sensor is bad I worked for chevy and have had to replace many leveling sensor in the same vechile cause gm had to update there sensors

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Car won't start and fuel gauge and speedometer don't work [ 2 Answers ]

My 2004 Pontiac Grand Am won't start. I jumped the battery. The car started, but the gauges are still not working. Could it be the alternator?

Chevy Venture 2000 fuel gauage - [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to fix the fuel gauge. It goes from full to empty and all over the place. Obviously something's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

View more questions Search