Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amber1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Pontiac grand am
    I have a Pontiac grand am it starts then dies! What could be the problem?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
    . Depending on the year, replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) often solves the problem.

. If the problem persists, try to determine if the security system is the culprit.
    Amber1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 06:21 PM
    About Pontiac grand am
    About the Pontiac grand am that starts then dies the year model is a 2001! The day before it quit it was just sitting in the yard without the key in the egintion and the headlights came on and flashed on an off!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2012, 07:28 PM
    It sounds like your car's security system is preventing it from continuing to run. It thinks it is being stolen. We've had a number of similar situations, with 2001 Grand Ams, at AMHD. You will likely need to get it to the dealer, since they're the only ones who can solve these type of problems.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jun 17, 2012, 05:45 AM
    Does the security light flash when this happens? If so, you have the dreaded GM PassLock failure. See the post below for how to fix it.

GM Security System Fix

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 pontiac grand am se [ 4 Answers ]

I own a 2000 pontiac grand am se and it randomly stalls out on me and its not over heating according to the temp. gage I have had diagnostic tests done, replaced parts, even buying better gas and it keeps doing it what can I do about this?

1995 Pontiac Grand Am [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so, a few months ago I bought a '95 Grand Am with 80,000 miles. The day I bought the car, it began to overheat, and I noticed there was no coolant in the chamber. Easy fix. Car went a few days without incident, and began to overheat when stopped, but cooled while I drove. Checked, fan...

1997 Pontiac Grand Am [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where the orifice tube is located on a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am? Or, does the 1997 Pontiac Grand Am even have an orifice tube? We just replaced the AC compressor and evaporator, but cannot find where the orifice tube goes?

Pontiac Grand Am [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a free service manual for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am.

Pontiac grand am dying out again [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 96 Pontiac grand am that is giving us fits. It dies out at the end of the street (stop sign) Can start up again, but have to keep driving. We've had it repaired (fuel line, fuel pressure gauge) was told the engine was flooded (the car went through a period of not even starting prior to...

View more questions Search