Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richie25rich Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 08:14 AM
    1991 Ford 4.9L engine stopped while driving. Hard to start again,
    My 1991 Ford f-150 inline stright 6 4.9L engine stopped while driving(moving at 35 mph)
    I replaced both fuel tanks, fuel pumps, new fuel filter , and new fuel line from the filter on back to the rear tank.
    New distributor cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, coil, and TFI(on side of distributor).
    New idle air control valve. When I replaced all that the truck ran like a fine swiss watch.
    I let it sit in a gravel driveway for 6 weeks and it was rainy and damp. Then I took it for a drive upstate for 3 hours and it took all the hills and valleys no problem. But then... the next day the problem came back again on the way to work and I was late. I do not want to get fired! The truck started again but it took 8 key starts to start the engine. It was hard to start, but once it starts it appears to run OK. What is wrong with my truck?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2011, 08:59 AM
    You have done a ton of good things to that truck. Check for condensation inside the distributor cap. Wipe it down with a soft cloth and WD-40--it will help displace any moisture.

As you likely know, Fords run best with Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs. What brand plugs did you install? What brand of TFI Module did you install? I'm inclined to suspect the Module.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford f350 diesel Engine will not start cold, smoke leaks from the engine, fuel gage [ 2 Answers ]

Three Problems: 1. Engine will not start cold 2. Smokes leak out from top of the engine near the spark plug/glow plug (front of the engine) 4. Front gas tank gas indicator only shows empty, even if it is full. I recently bought a 83 Ford F350 Diesel Truck (dually) It was hard to cold start,...

2003 Ford 350 6.0 Diesel Engine Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

It's been really cold here in upstate New York, my truck was running and then all of a sudden it stopped, and I can't get it started. It cranks over but can't start, I've tried some starting fluid... I had it started, but then it shut off and wouldn't start again. Anybody have any idea what could...

1991 Honda Civic Hard Start [ 1 Answers ]

1991 Honda Civic DX, 1.5L, Automatic. The last couple of months when started the engine has been running rough. And then even more rough when put into gear. Now that it has gotten colder it has started to stall as soon as it starts. Now I have to keep my foot on the gas peddle for a couple of...

1997 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke is hard to start [ 1 Answers ]

My 1997 Ford F250 with a 7.3 Powerstroke is hard to start on colder mornings. If I cycle the glow plugs about 10 or 12 times it will start easily. If I plug in the block heater it takes fewer cycles to start. I've checked the glow plugs with a test light, they all have continuity. I've checked...

Engine quit suddenly while driving, '90 Ford F-150 [ 4 Answers ]

While driving to the grocery store tonight , my "90 F-150 abruptly quit running. As far as electrical all seems well, engine will crank, lights (headlamps, instrument) work, no warning, running adequately one second, then dead. Quarter tank of gas. Had to leave it, too dark, no flashlight. When I...

View more questions Search