Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skogga Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 02:35 AM
    Honda Accord EX 1997 cranks but won't fire, has spark, no fuel pressure etc
    Picked up an EX Accord 97 model for a good price. When the key is turned to start, the main relay clicks once (new relay) and the fuel pump puts one small squirt out the fuel line and stops instantly. It is .1 of a sec, not 2 sec. There is no second click in the relay either. The engine light does go out after a couple of secs yet the K test gave no voltage at the MAP. I do get continuity between ECM terminal A7 and wire on relay and also get 12 volt at the black/yellow wires at ECM with ign on. The immobliser works I guess ,because it only starts with the black key, although someone has butchered it a little as the light and momentary switch have been disconnected, and you can get the central locking going by connecting two wires left there under the dash. The green key light does go out when engine CEL goes out. Appreciate any help or similar stories. Thanks

Dec 8, 2011, 02:37 AM
    Revision, I seem to get 5v at the MAP now... didnt test it right first time? Also less voltage at the TPS and 0V at the water temp sensor, all with ign on.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2011, 07:56 AM
    . Clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing.

. Check all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter. Especially check the ACG (ALT) (S) fuse in the under dash fuse box. Be very thorough, since it will save a lot of time and money.

. Replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil. Apply silicone heat transfer grease to the back of the new ICM. Ensure the rotor and distributor cap are in good shape.

. Check the ignition switch for wear or pitting.

. Focus on the butchered Immobilizer System, if the problem persists.

Dec 8, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Thanks for quick reply TXGreasemomkey, I have, but I will go over them again. I have to be sure of things over here in Australia, Honda parts cost the earth here, and I will go OEM. I'll get back to you.

Dec 8, 2011, 10:57 AM
    I must add that I haven't hooked up the alternator yet, could this cause this symptom? Regards.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2011, 10:57 AM
    If you got a great deal on the car, it will be worth the effort and money.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2011, 11:00 AM
    You definitely should hook up the alternator--there's no telling what interference that could cause.

Dec 8, 2011, 11:08 AM
    Yeah, it is now, rebuilt the whole engine as it did have a badly burnt exhuast valve on no 3. I have never had it running, although it does now run on starter spray no problems. Got a 6am start at work so I have to go, but will keep you updated, and I do appreciate your help. Matt
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
    It may run on starting fluid because the ICM is bad. The current ICM is likely not firing when the ECM wants it to; therefore, it won't run on petrol.

Dec 10, 2011, 11:26 AM
    I seems part of the immobilizer system has been removed. Interlock with the key is operational but the ECU is shutting down the fuel system. Being an accord, I removed a certain part in the ECU (not disclosing for car thieves, but you may know it) and she runs, albeit with the CEL on. I have a part on order that will rectify that and still retain OBD2 capabilities. I feel I will be better off installing an aftermarket alarm instead of going the Honda route. Thanks for your time TxGreaseMomkey. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1997 honda accord fuel pump psi [ 1 Answers ]

1997 honda accord fuel pump psi

1993 Honda Accord Lx, has fuel, no fire new coil, what now? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 1993 Honda Accord Lx Stick, and it died about 2 weeks ago, after it sat for about 30 minutes it started again, we went to the parts store and they said it was to old to hook to the computer, but it souded like the fuel filter was bad, we replaced it (it wasn't good that's for sure) we...

Oil around spark plug 1997 honda accord [ 1 Answers ]

I am seeing oil around my 3rd and 4th spark plugs, what is wrong and what can I do?

Fuel system for a 1997 Honda Accord [ 3 Answers ]

Where is the fuel filter located? Can I replace it myself? The car will run for a few seconds then it seems to run out of fuel. Is it the Fuel Pump?

1994 honda accord, no spark, no fuel-- [ 3 Answers ]

I have a honda accord lx no efi that ran with a low idle & died occasionally. I cleaned the iavc screen and when I tried to start it, the battery ran down and clicked and made all kind of weird noises. I think the starter stayed engaged. After replacing the battery & negative battery cable because...

View more questions Search