Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    party.girl217 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Car Maintneince?
    Just got a new car... my first one... its a 2006 ford taurus... is it cheaper to change the oil yourself or have someone do it for you? How often do you do it? What else do you do? So lost :(
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2011, 11:56 AM
    It's much cheaper to change it yourself. As the owner of a 2000 Ford Taurus, with the 3.0L Duratec engine, my advice is to only use a full synthetic 5W-20 engine oil (e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum) and change it every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Use a premium filter--Purolator PureOne, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, or K&N.

The next most important thing to do is to drop and clean the transmission pan, change the filter, and refill with Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF every 30,000 miles. Transmissions are the weak link in all front wheel drive vehicles. If you take care of the engine and transmission, everything else that can go wrong is relatively minor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in NYC. Unemployed 2 years. Just paid off car note. Can creditors take car?

I purchase a car from private car dealer, they relase pink slip, can they reposes car [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a car last year juy 2009 for 7,800.00 in CA. paid 3,550.00 cash and ended with balance of 4,250.00 NOTE: on contract there was no due day or payoff day- is blank, I have pay them 3,500 as of today, I am currently unemployd and I pay dealership any amout that is posible. Also a month...

Car Accident Totaled My Car.. Insurance Paid Out Low Blue Book Can I? [ 2 Answers ]

I was rear-ended Recently That The Insurance called a total lost on my car.. The insurance company paid me out on the low blue book On My vehicle.. The other party's Insurance has not made contact with me... I have to purchase another vehicle... I found a vehicle to purchase but the cost is...

View more questions Search