Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2011, 04:21 PM
    Trying to lower the crydle bolts are really tight can't budge
    I have to lower the cradle to remove the control arm on the drivers side to replace the lower ball joint. I got the passenger side off no problem the cradle did not need to be lowered on that side. The drivers side you have to loosen the bolts that hold the cradle to the frame pry it down and remove control arm bolt. I spayed it with BP blaster a couple of times. I'm afraid if a pull to hard with a long pipe I'll bust the screw or not in the frame. Any suggestions or ideas? It has a 13/16" nut head and there is no access to a bolt in the frame. The head of the bolt looks like it has a hole in it for maybe a star wrench. I'm not sure how to proceed so I'm putting it out for some info and hopefully a solution. Thanks in advance.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Ideas:

. Compress the coil spring, instead. Just be careful and buy/rent the appropriate spring compressor.

. Remove both subframe bolts on the driver's side. Lubricate the bolts and screw them in 3 turns. The nuts are "boxed" inside the frame, so they can only move so far. That should provide enough room to pry down on the control arm (I use a 5 foot barbell bar) and separate it from the ball joint stud. Just remember suspension parts are tough. I've used this technique many times to remove steering knuckles, in order to replace ball joints and wheel bearing/hub assembles. This is the ideal time to replace ball joints, struts, wheel bearing/hub assemblies, and half axles.

. Use a combination of the above ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can cause my lower hip area, lower back, and lower right side to hurt [ 1 Answers ]

The pain is in my right hip area. It also goes to my right side of my back and right side of my stomach.

Bathtub traps tight threads can't loosen tight threads [ 1 Answers ]

The threads for the trap on my bathtub are rusted. I can not loosen the plate. Should I use a torch?

Budge income statetment [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, How do I develop a budget income statement from last years annual figures?

Shower Handle won't budge [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get a corroded shower handle off? We took out the little screw but the handle won't budge. Can not get the back plate off until handle comes off. We tried clr wd40 and vinegar but to no avail. Your help is greatly appreciated. Michele

My puppy won't budge while on a leash [ 1 Answers ]

When we first got the dog it walked just fine with a collar and leash. Then seemingley overnight, the dog won't budge. I refuse to have a dog and not be able to take it on walks or anywhere that require a leash. I have a GSD puppy and it will need to the exercise and will get so big that I won't be...

View more questions Search