Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gpalnau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 09:06 AM
    On my gas water heater pilot lite only goes out when strong wind out side.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 09:13 AM

Then you have to find the draft that is putting it out. That is a potentially dangerous situation. There is still gas coming through and no flame.

Tick
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Is the wind blowing on the heater or outside on the vent? If it is blowing on the heater, you can build a V shaped baffle out of drywall that sits about 1 ft in front of the heater and the wind will divert around it. If the wind is back pressuring the vent, you may need to install a better draft diverter on the top of the vent. Simpson makes one that allows venting but reduces the direct wind pressure. They are <$10
    gpalnau Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Simpson Dura vent might be the trick, wind was blowing down the vent pipe from out side. Going to try this first.
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm gas heater pilot lite won't stay lit. [ 3 Answers ]

I have followed the directions, yet the pilot lite won't stay on.

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Water heater pilot light will not stay lite [ 1 Answers ]

My water heater pilot lite will not stay lite. What do I need to do or replace to solve this issue?

Gas Water Heater burner/pilot light . [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there, It has been a wild week. I had to travel 2 hours to a hospital because they thought my grandfather had an anyerism. Luckily he is still in the hospital but OK. But when I got home I had no hot water. Check and pilot light was out. Relit pilot OK. Turned thermostat knob up, burner...

View more questions Search