Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amaron Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2010, 01:57 PM
    Gas hot water tanks
    Can the nat gas contol valve be easily replaced... and can the control valve be replaced with one other than the brand it was manufactured with?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 04:20 PM

Hi Amaron...

Yup! The gas contol can be easily swapped out by:

1) shutting off the gas
    2) removing the thermocouple
    3) removing the pilot tubing
    4) removing the main burner tube
    5) draining the water heater
    6) spinning the gas valve out counterclockwise.
    7) and finally installing a new gas valve.

I would recommend that you stick with the same manufacturer if possible, or at least get a universal fit gas valve that matches up exactly with your old one.

Any questions just let us know, OK?

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2010, 04:25 PM

Mark gave you excellent instructions.
    May I suggest the next time you post lose the caps. We don't yell at each other in here. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two hot water tanks on same system 1 sounds like its running water all the time [ 1 Answers ]

On a two hot water tank system,it sounds like hot water is running through one of the hot water pipes all the time

Dual hot water tanks [ 12 Answers ]

One of my customers has a problem which has me baffled. He has two gas fired, 40 gallon hot water tanks, connected in series (6 years old). They are turned up just one 'click' from the highest setting. Normally when a tank is turned up this high the water is boiling hot, but in this case it was...

Hooking Up 2 Hot Water Tanks [ 8 Answers ]

I'm Trying To Hook Up Another Hot Water Tank So I Have More Hot Water I Have One Hooked Up And Have A Pump On It To Circulate The Water Thruogh A Coal Furnace And Was Wondering Where To Tie The Water Lines For The Second Tank Into

Purpose of Two 40-gal. Hot Water Tanks [ 9 Answers ]

I am replacing one of two 40-gallon gas hot water tanks. They both have cold water inlets. Why did they install them in parallel-series. I live in a two-story home with 3,500 square feet. Would it be to my advantage to install a 50-gallon tank in place of the old 40-gallon? Is this...

Hot water tanks [ 1 Answers ]

What is a pressurised hot water tank, and how does it operate?

View more questions Search