Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    civic8998 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
    89 honda civic intermintent fuel pump power
    My fuel pump gets power intermintely. Relay checks out fine.has spark.CEL and all other Dumbie lights go off normally after two seconds. Fuel pump is only a year old. I get 12.62 at the connector then drops to 10.35 a second later even when the fuel pump turns on it still does that. I've replaced my MAP sensor and igntion switch hasn't fixed the problem. I don't have a clue what the problem is any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

PS when I have more time I will get more information
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 05:33 PM

This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523

Be sure to clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing.
    civic8998 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Hi TxGreaseMonkey I hope you would answer this I've been threw pretty much all your posts

What topic should I choose in that link that you think would help me out the most? There are quite a few
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 05:23 AM

In the link I gave you above, I would perform all of the tests listed--it shouldn't take too long.

The contacts in the relay may be pitted. As the cross-sectional area erodes through pitting, the resistance goes up by a square factor. Based on the formula Area of a Circle = Pi x R-squared, as the effective cross-sectional area of a points gets cut in half, the resistance goes up four fold. This means that the amperage available to the fuel pump would be 1/4 of what it would be otherwise, when you plug these values into Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law states Amperage = Volts/Resistance. As resistance (Ω) doubles, amperage is cut in half.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'89 Honda Civic - no power to fuel pump [ 7 Answers ]

My little 89 Honda Civic had been running fine... then suddenly a few times it felt like the fuel delivery was getting weak, then it'd perk back up. I parked the car for a few days and drove my main car. I went back to the Honda after a 5-6 day hiatus - and it won't start. It turns over, but...

Why is my honda civic is not getting fuel I already change fuel pump , [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 92 honda civic I chang everything , I open the fuel filter line and crank the engine and their no fuel coming anywhere,

Honda civic which fuel pump [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to replace my fuel pump for my honda civic marlin 1.3 dx, 1995, but I don't know which fuel pump it requires - manual fuel pump or intank fuel pump or electrical?

92-92 civic no power to the fuel pump and no power or spark to the distributor [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92-95 civic si. I am not getting any power to the fuel pump and no spark to the distributor. I have check all my sensors and have replaced the distributor. Checked the continuity to the distributor and all checks out good. I also have checked all grounds and all checked out all so....

92 Honda Civic, no power to fuel pump, but relay checks OK [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1992 Honda Civic That will start intermittently. A mechanic buddy of mine narrowed it down to the fuel pump not getting power. We checked the main relay and it checked out fine. So we jumped the power bypassing the relay and the pump powered up after that. Stumped with a capital. Oh yeah I...

View more questions Search