Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HAMDAYS Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Saga continuing on:1998 honda civic lx
    Ok let me give you the past history, 1998 honda civic lx 176,000 miles.. it died on me while driving about 3 weeks ago. Before that time the check engine line had been on for 2 years.. thats right 2 years.. had the 02 sensors replaced summer '08.. thought that was it.. had cracked manifold soldered spring 2010.. had control module and coil replaced 8-10.. as well as new tuneup w/ngk plugs.. then diag threw a 02 sensor code.. replaced it.. mechanic thought that was problem.. now car is throwing a 420 catalytic converter code.. mechanic said all is fine unless emissions comes back. 2nd day after having it back car was having a problem getting up a hill and a ramp to xpressway..
    My theory is that it is the catalytic converter clogged and Im going tomorrow to have the sucker cut off!! Anybody else with any knowledge of this??
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2010, 09:06 PM

Here was my last suggestion:

P0420--Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. It may not be blocked but it may be seriously compromised. You will likely have to replace the converter.

After replacing the converter, you likely won't have any more problems.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2010, 07:39 AM

Without a good catalytic converter, your Civic won't run properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda civic 1998 ecm [ 1 Answers ]

In my 1998 honda civic trouble code 1509 is on, How I can fix it?

1998 Civic Honda [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a (2 door) 1998 Honda Civic for my son. It's my first time purchasing a used vehicle. Nevertheless, the car appeared to be fine. I test drove the car, asked lots of questions and the exterior is in excellent condition. Later, the check engine light came on and the Used care...

The continuing dog/cat saga [ 3 Answers ]

Ok... the cats are beginning to get bolder and come out of their closet. And I finally had the face to face meeting... and it turns out that Trinkett (the greyhound) is terrified of cats. One hiss from Rana (not even a paw swipe!), and now Trinkett won't come in the same room as the cats. She'll...

View more questions Search