Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letmein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Strange starting/running problem 91 civic
    Hello,

I recently bought a 91 civic hatchback and have been driving it for around 3 weeks now with no problems. I recently had a snow storm here and it got pretty cold for about a week, the day it finally warmed up I went out to start the car and it would turn over, but would never start. I waited a couple hours came back out and it started right up. I thought maybe some condensation had happened and letting it sit fixed the problem, but about 20 minutes into my drive the car just died going down the road. I pulled over tried to restart it and it would begin to start, but die once I let go of the key. It did this several times, I then let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started just fine. I drove it to a parking lot and parked it, and since I was late already and didn't want to chance it getting stuck in the middle of the road I hopped on a bus. Came back that evening and it started fine and I drove it home. I just tried it again today and it started fine, but I worried about taking it out somewhere and getting it stuck. I did some reading on here and checked the computer LED and I am not getting any codes, and the check engine light stays on like its supposed too for 2 secs. I think the clicks are fine too, but I haven't been able to listen to it when its acting up. Any one have a similar problem or any suggestions, I'm not sure how to trace something down when it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks
    Matt
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Matt, it has the appearance of being a bad ignition switch, if you think how you manage the key makes a difference. Maybe you could elaborate on that more. Otherwise, my hunch is that it could be an igniter starting to fail. Autozone and O'Reilly Auto will test igniters and coils for free.

To have confidence in your car again, and because of its age, I recommend you replace the igniter, coil, and main relay. One tow will equal what all three components cost.
    letmein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmein
    Hello,

I recently bought a 91 civic hatchback and have been driving it for around 3 weeks now with no problems. I recently had a snow storm here and it got pretty cold for about a week, the day it finally warmed up I went out to start the car and it would turn over, but would never start. I waited a couple hours came back out and it started right up. I thought maybe some condensation had happened and letting it sit fixed the problem, but about 20 mins into my drive the car just died going down the road. I pulled over tried to restart it and it would begin to start, but die once I let go of the key. It did this several times, I then let it sit for about 10 mins and it started just fine. I drove it to a parking lot and parked it, and since i was late already and didnt want to chance it getting stuck in the middle of the road I hopped on a bus. Came back that evening and it started fine and I drove it home. I just tried it again today and it started fine, but I worried about taking it out somewhere and getting it stuck. I did some reading on here and checked the computer LED and I am not getting any codes, and the check engine light stays on like its supposed too for 2 secs. I think the clicks are fine too, but I havent been able to listen to it when its acting up. Any one have a similar problem or any suggestions, I'm not sure how to trace something down when it doesnt happen all the time.

Thanks
    Matt
    I don't think it's the ignition, now that I reread what I wrote I understand how you got that. It turns over just fine, and what I meant by it would die after letting go of the key was that it would begin to start each time I tried, but would act like it was getting no gas, almost like it was using up the gas that was primed into it, but the fuel pump wasn't kicking in. Ill try your advice and go pick up an igniter, coil and main relay today to see how that works and let you know. Thanks for the help so far
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 03:15 PM
    What you say now sounds like you need to replace the fuel filter. Disconnect the negative. Battery cable and gas cap first, before replacing. Clogged fuel filters can stop and engine. In fact, my father's Toyota pickup died on the road, because of this problem, 6 months ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic (91 & 93) Running/Dash Light Problem [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 91 Honda Civic and gave it to my son. I then purchased a 93 Honda Civic to drive myself and eventually give to my daughter. Problem with BOTH vehicles is when it is cold outside, the running (tail) lights and dash lights won't light up until the car is warm. The colder it...

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

Starting problem with Honda Civic [ 8 Answers ]

Honda Civic Year 94, Manual Transmission 100,000 miles The car has been giving me starting problems the last few days but it runs well once started. It stops starting if I keep the car parked for a day (it starts if I try starting it within an hour or so after I stop). It starts when I...

91 civic starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over...

Troble starting my civic [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 97civic DX 5 speed with 116000 miles I have trouble starting my car some times a lot of the times I have to give it gas so it can start, some times when I turn it on and rev it up it seems like the fuel gets stuck or its running on three cylinder but after a couple of seconds it sounds...

View more questions Search